17’ burro sub floor replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
17’ burro sub floor replacement

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a post or video detailing the process of replacing the sub floor on a 17’ burro? I’ve seen several posts/videos detailing the process on 13’ burros but unable to locate much for the 17.
Tomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #2

Indiana
Also can anyone recommend a company that can replace the subfloor?
Old 07-22-2021, 10:43 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I can't imagine it being cost effective to pay someone to do this repair. Shops around here are $100 an hour and up. And this job will likely take two workers, not one, so double it.

I would start with any local marine shops. Someone proficient in repairing fiberglass boats should be able to handle the trailer.

Best thread I have found on Burro floor replacement. I can see a professional charging somewhere in the $5,000 to $10,000 range. Its one reason so many of these repairs are do it yourself.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...d-55625-3.html

Project trailers are best suited for someone with the TIME, tools, aptitude, covered work area to undertake such involved projects.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #4

Indiana
I’ve put together a game plan on how I intend to replace the subfloor - get it off the frame, replace the front then the back. Has anyone done a 17footer? I haven’t started removing the subfloor yet, but I’ve read it was originally 5/8” plywood. Can anyone tell me if I will be able to go with 3/4” (only marine grade plywood readily available in Indiana!)?

Also the seams go right down the middle: 4 pieces of plywood (seam at middle width and length). Any advantages to changing this? I’ll glue and screw the seams - probably making it a non issue.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:37 PM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo2 View Post
I’ve put together a game plan on how I intend to replace the subfloor - get it off the frame, replace the front then the back. Has anyone done a 17footer? I haven’t started removing the subfloor yet, but I’ve read it was originally 5/8” plywood. Can anyone tell me if I will be able to go with 3/4” (only marine grade plywood readily available in Indiana!)?

Also the seams go right down the middle: 4 pieces of plywood (seam at middle width and length). Any advantages to changing this? I’ll glue and screw the seams - probably making it a non issue.
In our boler it requires removing all cupboards below the midle and the boler will not support its own roof so support as you go.

Tags
burro