17 Foot Boler Floor Type? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #1

Name: Kees
Trailer: Boler 1700
British Columbia
17 Foot Boler Floor Type?

I have started in on a restoration of my 17 foot boler. I am at the point where I am pulling up the old sheet linoleum. The previous owner had put a floating sheet of linoleum over the original layer. Once this was up I noticed that there are several layers to the floor.

It seems that the lowest layer is plywood with fiberglass on top (doesn't look like there is resin on the bottom). This plywood if glassed into the shell around the edge. The next layer is a fiberglass sheet that covers the entire floor almost as a basin (although it has no raised edges). Finally there is the original linoleum attached to the fiberglass sheet.

I have attached images (1 image looking down, 2 looking up from underneath trailer) which will hopefully explain what I'm seeing.

My question revolves around the fiberglass sheet that is between the linoleum and plywood and what it's purpose is as some sections were already removed by the previous owner.

Thanks for the help.

Kees

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3616.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	67258

Name:	100_3617.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	67259

Name:	100_3618.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	67260
KeesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That is an interesting lay up of material. In my Boler 1700 it is reversed. I had an entire shell(fiberglass on the outside and a 3/4 inch plywood floor above that with linoleum glued to that)
I removed the plywood as it was rotten in many places. As plywood is breathable your manufacturer may have installed the fiberglass on top of the plywood as an internal water barrier and this would also allow the plywood to breathe.
Is the fiberglass similar to the shell or is it glass layered on top of itself and epoxied?
Graham B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #3

Name: Kees
Trailer: Boler 1700
British Columbia
Thats interesting! The fiberglass looks like it may have a gel coat on one side (it is tan colored) but it is not nearly as thick as the shell of the trailer. The fact that there is two layers of fiberglass is confusing but at this point I have pulled up the top layer leaving shell and single layer as one piece (fiberglass on the bottom).
KeesV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler