1970 Trails West Campster Canvas Pop-Top - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Name: Johanna
Trailer: Trailswest
California
1970 Trails West Campster Canvas Pop-Top

Hi folks - my husband and I are excited to have purchased our very first trailer, a 1970 Trails West Campster. The canvas pop-top is in need of replacement. I'd love suggestions. Ideally I want to find someone who can sew it for me, but am willing to give it a go myself too. Thanks!
goodgracious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
If you have the old one, you can remove it and take it to a canvas shop and see if they can make a new one.

What I did was cut out the old one (no dismantling of anything) and sew one up out of cordura nylon and screening, and reattach with Velcro. I'm still working on putting windows in (started with only one and went camping- it worked great) but haven't got back to it yet. It doesn't take much in sewing skills- more measuring skills! It's kind of a pain to work with large pieces of fabric so if I were doing it again I think I'd make the four sides, put the windows in, then sew them together at the corners. Not only would that mark the corners and reinforce them but it would have made everything a bit easier to do.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
I made a new top enclosure for our Campster.
I have a small sewing machine so it was a little difficult managing the fabric while sewing.
Hubby stapled velcro, the loop side, on the pop top and bottom and I sewed the other part of the velcro to the fabric. We just pull off the fabric top when we store the Camspter for the winter. Keeps the top fabric from getting dirty.
I do need to make it fit better at the corners. Have not put in windows yet-not sure I want to cut into fabric.
I used ripstop-if doing it again I would use some other fabric-ripstop is difficult to work with.
I hate to sew and havent sewn much-but did enjoy making the top for the Campster.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #4

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Johana,

Making a new canvas isn't difficult. I used Rip stop nylon for tent floors and put screened windows in the long sides. I attached with Velcro to the top and bottom frame. The ripstop is a little challenging to work with due to how slippery it is, but it bunches easily so you can maneuver it. I did all my sewing in the trailer, set up the machine on the table and I had enough room.

Good luck. Have some fun with it.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri85 View Post
Johana,

Making a new canvas isn't difficult. I used Rip stop nylon for tent floors and put screened windows in the long sides. I attached with Velcro to the top and bottom frame. The ripstop is a little challenging to work with due to how slippery it is, but it bunches easily so you can maneuver it. I did all my sewing in the trailer, set up the machine on the table and I had enough room.

Good luck. Have some fun with it.
Smart idea! I don't have a table in mine anymore, though, darn. I used cordura for mine- sewed pretty well but definitely doesn't bunch easily, but I have a big machine. I didn't really do windows like the original- I made the windows full height and then there are two layers- screen, then fabric, so you just open the fabric part and look through the screen.

The biggest problem I had was that the top wasn't stable after I disconnected the old top.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi, and Welcome to the group. You will find lots of new friends hereabouts.
When I need to redo the boot on my Hunter Compact-II I found that, once removed, and after a cleaning with a good leatherette cleaner/conditioner, that the fabric was still in decent shape and all it needed were new screens and window flaps. In short, don't throw out what ya got until you get it removed for a good look-see. Repair may be a solution.

I took the material to Riverside Tent and Awning (Riverside, CA) to redo the screens and make new flaps, as well as restitch anything that needed attention.
About $200.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #7

Name: Johanna
Trailer: Trailswest
California
Great feedback! Thank you.
goodgracious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster, trails west