1972 Trail mite no title??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #1

Name: Justin
Trailer: Trail mite
Idaho
1972 Trail mite no title???

I just bought a 1972 trail mite. When I met up with the guy he told me that there is no title. He stated that the courthouse told him that there are no titles for this year or make. He had it registared as a utiity trailer. I looked at the tag and all it says is year of mfg and total weight. It has no serial number stamped on it? I have not gone down to DMV yet just hoping someone on here might know something about this. I got the sellers information and a bill of sale.

Justin
Gr8WhtHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I was at BCAA ( auto association ) today and they had a brochure on what to do about not having registration ( title ). It would only apply to BC. So, I suggest you Google the Motor Vehicle dept. for your state / province and look for the info there. I'm sure that BC isn't the only province that has a handy FAQ on what's required to obtain title.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Justin, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here This is what I've found...

Idaho DMV pages: Titling Vehicles in Idaho

Registering and licensing Vehicles in Idaho

Hope it works out easy for you.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
If you know someone in Washington take it there. You need an inspection from the state patrol (takes weeks for an appt). They will measure it, inspect it for numbers, and check the "stolen" database (it's instantaneous). If nothing comes up they give you an inspection slip. You take it to the DMV and they issue you plates and registration. The only bad thing is you don't get an official title for 3 years but can still license it, use it, or sell it. I had to do this with my 5er as a last resort. PS I had Nevada drivers license and a Nevada address. I do own property in Washington and spend a lot of time there but no one ever questioned my residency.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Registering non-titled trailer
If you want to sell in the future I can't say that I know anyone that would ever buy a trailer with a conditional title such as the WA one with a 3 year wait.
Rather than going to the ID DMV I would start with the local AAA office. They are often also a titling agency and can walk you through the process without looooong waits and having to deal with the state until it is sorted.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8WhtHunter View Post
I just bought a 1972 trail mite. When I met up with the guy he told me that there is no title. He stated that the courthouse told him that there are no titles for this year or make. He had it registared as a utiity trailer. I looked at the tag and all it says is year of mfg and total weight. It has no serial number stamped on it? I have not gone down to DMV yet just hoping someone on here might know something about this. I got the sellers information and a bill of sale.

Justin
If he told you it's registered as a utility trailer and he got tags for it, there has to be some kind of paperwork attached to the trailer- one can't get tags without a Title! If he's lost it, Idaho has provisions for duplication/simultaneous transfer of "Lost titles". The seller must participate in that paperwork.

Idaho's title information page says that further questions should be brought to the County Assessor in your county-of-residence.

Good luck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Helite
Purchase it without a title and we will be reading posts about it for years to come.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #8

Registry
Idaho doesn't require titles for small utility trailers, registration only. I had one with an Idaho title that was good for 10 years. They also give you a lifetime option or 1 year option.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #9

Idaho
Everyone thanks for your help I am going to the DMV today. You were all very helpful, As for Art don't worry I won't be posting for years about my problems just hoping for a little help.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #10

Registry
If you change your mind let me know what you want for it.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #11

Idaho
Steve - Thanks again for the help! I don't have any plans on selling I have been looking for something like this for years! I just happened to be at the right place and have the $800 at the right time.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #12

Registry
You never know, let me know if you change your mind. What city are you in?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #13

Idaho
I am in Lewiston, right on the Idaho-Washington border. I have only seen one other around here. It is pretty rough on the inside and I heard the owner doesn't wan to sell.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #14

Registry
Very familiar with Lewiston, lived in Pullman for awhile and had friends in Clarkston. I missed out on a Scamp 13' down there last summer for approx $1500. made me sick!

Tags
title