1973 Compact II by Hunter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #1

Name: Gary
Trailer: Hunter
Missouri
1973 Compact II by Hunter

Hello all,
I recently aquired a 1973 Compact II that has been sitting unused for about 15 years. I need to know if anyone here knows where I can get parts for this camper. I specificly need the material that goes around the push up top. The one on my camper is in pretty bad shape and I think it would be better to replace it as oposed to trying to repair it.
Thanks,
Gary
Applegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #2

Name: Gagan
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
British Columbia
Hello Gary

I'm going through the same process though mine's still campable. After googling it I've decided to go with duck canvas similar to Wetfalia pop tops.It's cheap as chips and easier to sew than the original vinyl, looks good too. Let me know how it goes and any tips if you get it done before me. I'll keep you posted where I am.

Cheers, EasyT
EasyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #3

Missouri
EasyT,
Thanks for the info. I will check out the duck canvas. This is my 1st camper build, although I did rebuild a slideout for my brother on a 5th wheel camper. Also, the wood in mine is very dark and I am thinking I might try to redo all of the woodwork with a knotty pine with a clear finish to brighten it up inside. Has anyone else done a wood overhall? If so, how did it go?
Thanks,
Gary
Old 06-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I covered all the cabinets, drawers, and dividers with oak grain Formica. The dorm frig was covered with matching vinyl pattern. The floor is oak pattern Allure from Home Depot. All has held up very well.

Latest View Of Kitchen - 2008 Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 AM   #5

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
I covered all the cabinets, drawers, and dividers with oak grain Formica. The dorm frig was covered with matching vinyl pattern. The floor is oak pattern Allure from Home Depot. All has held up very well.

Latest View Of Kitchen - 2008 Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Very nice. The interior did brighten up considerable and even looks more cheerful. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I think for the pop up fabric, something with screens would be nice but I don't know what that means for rainy days....ill be inspecting my newly acquired compact jr next week and maybe trying it a night or two if we can squeeze it in a campground up in ft or mass without doing the holiday 3 day thing. Sometimes they do make adjustments . There's a few of these being restored on here I think now..I'm anxious to get up there next week.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The original top had fabric screens with roll down vinyl covers inside that had Velcro edges to hold the rolls down or up.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #8

Registry
There ya go! Thanks Tom
Old 06-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #9

Name: Dail
Trailer: 1971 Compact Jr
California
Registry
When I had to replace the material on mine, I went to an awning supply and got a nice Sunbrella awning material. The old vinyl was in good enough shape that I could use it for a pattern, so I sewed screens in and put the velcro-fastened flaps to cover the screen. Never had any issues with water incursion. Granted, Sunbrella isn't cheap, but it's lasted and lasted
Dail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
pop top canvas and wood interior..........

A previous owner long ago replaced the canvas pop top with black netting. It's flexible and keeps the bugs out.

Note in the top photo the white cord ringing the netting. It's bungee rope with a little tension and pulls the tenting in nicely when the top is lowered.

No manual tucking required. In any more than a light rain I just lower the top.

I also wanted a little light wood look for the interior. The bottom photo shows three pieces of oak veneer paneling. I just attached it to the bottom of the window frames with small brass hinges.
Attached Thumbnails
canvas.wood.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #11

Registry
Looks nice John
Old 06-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #12

Name: Linda
Trailer: compact jr
New York
I used Sunbrella for mine too- love it so far!
raddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #13

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by john madill View Post
A previous owner long ago replaced the canvas pop top with black netting. It's flexible and keeps the bugs out.

Note in the top photo the white cord ringing the netting. It's bungee rope with a little tension and pulls the tenting in nicely when the top is lowered.

No manual tucking required. In any more than a light rain I just lower the top.

I also wanted a little light wood look for the interior. The bottom photo shows three pieces of oak veneer paneling. I just attached it to the bottom of the window frames with small brass hinges.
I like the idea of the full netting and I thought of this as an option and seeing the picture of yours revives that idea. The ceiling of the pop up on my camper is in very good condition, just needs a good cleaning, and I believe I can attach netting to it.
Also, I like the wood panel you have installed. It gives the camper a "classy" look.
I would like to see pics of the Sunbrella installation if any are available.
Thanks guys
Old 06-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #14

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I like the things you've done to your trailer. The wood really does add class. I'm curious why you hinged it?

I would like to point out that what you have is not a Compact II but is in fact a Compact Jr.
The two are distinguished by the length of the pop top from the outside. The one on the Jr is full length where the II only goes about 2/3.
Inside the Jr gives up some cabinetry for the twins/king bed option where the II has a queen bed/dinette.
I'll be redoing the pop top canvas on our II fairly soon and love looking at what everyone else has done. We do a fair amount of cool weather camping so probably won't go with all screen but more "Windows" up there would be great as long as I can deal them somehow when it's cold or windy
Happy camping

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #15

Registry
Either one is cool..I love seeing what everyone does to them to personalize one.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #16

Name: Linda
Trailer: compact jr
New York
I painted my cabinets
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0173.JPG   IMG_0174.JPG  

IMG_0175.JPG  
raddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #17

Registry
Looking good raddar
Old 06-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #18

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #19

Missouri
I haven't been on here for quite some time.I have been very busy with my camper. After getting started on it. I discovered about 60% of the floor was bad, I should say very bad. If I have known the floor was as bad as it turned out to be I probably would not have started the job. I could not remove the cabinets in reusable condition so I did a rebuild on them. I used Hackberry lumber that a cousin gave me. I used that lumber to give it a rustic look. The lumber was in the attic of her barn. It had been harvested 20 to 25 years ago by her husband. I also added oak laminate flooring and pine plank paneling to most of the walls. Although I still have a lot of work to do on it I think it is beginning to look the way I want it to be.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #20

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applegate View Post
I haven't been on here for quite some time.I have been very busy with my camper. After getting started on it. I discovered about 60% of the floor was bad, I should say very bad. If I have known the floor was as bad as it turned out to be I probably would not have started the job. I could not remove the cabinets in reusable condition so I did a rebuild on them. I used Hackberry lumber that a cousin gave me. I used that lumber to give it a rustic look. The lumber was in the attic of her barn. It had been harvested 20 to 25 years ago by her husband. I also added oak laminate flooring and pine plank paneling to most of the walls. Although I still have a lot of work to do on it I think it is beginning to look the way I want it to be.
Very pretty...but how much does it weigh?
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote