1973 Compact Jr in Tucson Az - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #1

Name: Jackie
Trailer: Hunter
AZ
Registry
1973 Compact Jr in Tucson Az

Hi,

Can anyone recommend someone in Tucson Az to reinforce and paint the popup cap on my Compact Jr?
broodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
I'm not in your area, but I can tell you this is an easy fix if you have any crafting, gluing, bending skills at all. I posted some photos over on my trailer registry. Basically:
detach the boot tent

detach the roof (four bolts)

turn the roof upside down onto a pair of sawhorses

use reinforcements - I used four stainless steel rods I hand bent to match the arch I wanted, but you could use wood if you'd like to build it like an old hand-built canoe (I would have loved to do that had i those skills)

glass it in - fiberglass is really easy to work with. You can pick up the fiber mesh and the fiberglass resin at your local hardware store. Just follow the package instructions

Let it dry completely per package instructions and then some.

Paint per instructions elsewhere on this forum or found online. (I did all this when I was refurbishing my body while it was off the frame for a repair/rebuild in 2019. Shot the paint on the body and lid all at once.)

Reinstall.

Seriously, if I can do it, anyone can! Wasn't even a half-day's work.

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Photos of roof are here:

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...lbums2415.html

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:16 AM   #4

Name: Jackie
Trailer: Hunter
AZ
Registry
Thank you

Thanks for the encouragement and the pics! Your camper looks amazing. I already have the cap disconnected. When we took it off it seemed brittle and I got scared and decided to try and get a professional to do it I am having a hard time finding someone who wants to do the work so I may have to put on my big girl pants and give it a whirl.
broodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:59 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broodle View Post
Thanks for the encouragement and the pics! Your camper looks amazing. I already have the cap disconnected. When we took it off it seemed brittle and I got scared and decided to try and get a professional to do it I am having a hard time finding someone who wants to do the work so I may have to put on my big girl pants and give it a whirl.
Fiberglass is easy, messy but easy:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ass-52498.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:15 AM   #6

Name: Bert
Trailer: Compact Jr.
California
Hi guys! I just acquired a 73' compact Jr. last week...

Hello! JenPB, how did you go about having your pop up vinyl/screen window remade? Brilliant idea with reinforcing the pop top dome! I will make it happen. I've some experience with fiberglassing with surfboards and Zodiac RIBs. Messy for sure but easy peazy.. My trailer is in rough shape but the shell has good integrity and its dry inside. It hasn't seen the road for 35 years and has been sitting in a foggy coastal environment. Lots of Lichen growing on it. I'm slowly coming to grips with the extent of what needs to be done, and Im stoked. Thank you for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenPB View Post
I'm not in your area, but I can tell you this is an easy fix if you have any crafting, gluing, bending skills at all. I posted some photos over on my trailer registry. Basically:
detach the boot tent

detach the roof (four bolts)

turn the roof upside down onto a pair of sawhorses

use reinforcements - I used four stainless steel rods I hand bent to match the arch I wanted, but you could use wood if you'd like to build it like an old hand-built canoe (I would have loved to do that had i those skills)

glass it in - fiberglass is really easy to work with. You can pick up the fiber mesh and the fiberglass resin at your local hardware store. Just follow the package instructions

Let it dry completely per package instructions and then some.

Paint per instructions elsewhere on this forum or found online. (I did all this when I was refurbishing my body while it was off the frame for a repair/rebuild in 2019. Shot the paint on the body and lid all at once.)

Reinstall.

Seriously, if I can do it, anyone can! Wasn't even a half-day's work.
Taladeganite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:02 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenPB View Post

Paint per instructions elsewhere on this forum or found online. (I did all this when I was refurbishing my body ...)

I WISH my body was that easy to refurbish.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote