1973 Love Bug repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
1973 Love Bug repair

Hello all,

Just brought home our new baby. Making a list of needed repairs seems the first step, however in researching repair techniques on the forum I am finding little info on this particular make. With all of the wonderful posts I feel confident that the information is here. It seems that the Boler of the same year is similar. Can anyone direct me to specific info? At this time I am going to focus of door and window repairs. Also need to add a water reservoir. Hope this makes sense as I am new to most all of this.

Thanks,
Cat
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
Hello all,

Just brought home our new baby. Making a list of needed repairs seems the first step, however in researching repair techniques on the forum I am finding little info on this particular make. With all of the wonderful posts I feel confident that the information is here. It seems that the Boler of the same year is similar. Can anyone direct me to specific info? At this time I am going to focus of door and window repairs. Also need to add a water reservoir. Hope this makes sense as I am new to most all of this.

Thanks,
Cat
Our first fiberglass trailer was a 1973 LoveBug. I understand it was built by a sole proprietor in Iowa. Please post pictures of yours... here are some pictures of ours...
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_0.JPEG   06_30_1.jpg  

06_30_2.jpg   06_30_3.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #3

Florida
Registry
Thanks for you reply floyd. Only one pic so far, just put it in my registry. All of the pics that I have found of this model have a window in the door. ours does not? any info?

I will post more pics within the week. Really need to get the leaky windows repaired. Can't figure out how they are put in. In order to investigate it looks like I will have to remove the exterior rubber gasket and don't want to do that till I know what I am dealing with. A leaky window is better than no window.

thanks,
cathy
Old 07-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Florida
Registry
Love that Bug by the way. I will be picking your brain for as long as you can take it.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #5

Florida
Registry
only one pic so far

lets see if I can put the picture here.
Attached Thumbnails
photo-2.JPG  
Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
lets see if I can put the picture here.
Good job! Nice trailer! As for the door, lots of trailers are ordered without a window. It would now be easy to pick the one you like. (Or none)
Scamp used a bunch of that type of windows Circa 1976.
I think they are totally cool looking. Most LoveBugs from that era have that lip over the front window(mine didn't). That and the taillight housings are just about the only thing(s) which differentiate the LoveBug from it's siblings such as Scamp, Eco,Boler, etc.
Scamp would be a great source for needed unique parts, everything else can be bought locally or fabricated.
BTW... I had a bag awning on mine as well. It laid down in the "Normal" position until I approached highway speed then it flipped up like in your picture. It was a novel action but apparently harmless.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #7

Florida
Registry
Pictures

Floyd,

Thank you for the info. now the nitty gritty. I would be grateful if you would check out these pics and give me your input. Im pretty sure we are going to have to do some work on axel/ suspension. Want to try to get some more ground clearance while we are at it.

One minute I'm excited at the possibilities and the next minute I'm feeling a little sick and overwhelmed.

It's starting to rain, while these pics are uploading, Im going out to sit inside so I can see exactly where the leaks are. Going to upload to my registry, please check them out.

thanks
Cathy
Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #8

Florida
Registry
Well, don't think I should do that.