1974 Boler lock-out - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #1

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
1974 Boler lock-out

Hmm...just discovered that when locked from the inside by flipping latch, the door cannot be unlocked from the outside using the key. This normal??
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:21 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
That's NOT normal for a Bargman L400 lock set. If the door is locked from inside, it should be capable of being unlocked with a key.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Boler lock-out

Our Boler, being an early model, doesn't use the square Bargman lock. It uses the old style chromed lever pull down unit. Rocker locking latch on inside.if flipped to lock position by mistake, one is out of luck upon trying to unlock from outside. Yikes!
Old 05-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
If the door hinges are like that of Scamps, all one would have to do is remove the bolts from the hinges and remove the door. Yikes!
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
Hmm...just discovered that when locked from the inside by flipping latch, the door cannot be unlocked from the outside using the key. This normal??
I never got a key to my Bargman latch when I baught my 79 and there was a hasp and pad-lock installed to lock from outside. Inside lock still locks (not very good as latch is worn and a good yank would open it)
Important: While camping, put lock into hasp and lock it so no wise guy can come by and put something in the loop o hasp while your inside sleeping.
Once while packing for a trip wife left lock out of hasp and door slammed and hasp went over loop and jammed in such a way she was stuck. Always put lock into loop when door is being used.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:10 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
Others have answered it's not normal but just wanted to toss this out to you. With all the posts from people that have problems with their old stock locksets, which replacements are $$$ or have pretty much non available parts. Might be time to bite the bullet and do a mod and replace it with a current/standard lockset and not worry about keeping the TT stock. JMHO as that would be what I would do to make life easier down the road, but YMMV .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Lock-out

Just wondering if this is a normal short coming or design flaw of this type of lock. OR the lock is defective and needs replacing. Have other 1974 and under owners had this problem pop up?
Old 05-14-2017, 08:54 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
Ronald, please post a photo of your lock so that it can be identified.

If its a Bargman L400 lockset, any malfunctioning is probably due to wear.

I can say that my Boler 13 (since sold) and my Trillium 4500 both have Bargman L400 locksets. A previous owner of the Boler 13 had replaced the Bargman L400 lockset with a new identical lockset. It worked fine for me. Had to be lubricated on a regular basis.

The Bargman L400 lockset on my Trillium 4500 is original (39 years old) and it was quite worn when I bought the camper. The first problem was that the key would rotate completely around in cylinder. The second problem was that the lock would jam. I found a new old stock replacement cylinder and key on kijiji and replaced it (had to modify the cylinder housing with a Dremel). Since then it has worked fine. Again it has to be lubricated on a regular basis. I use 3-in-1 Lock Dry Lube spray.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Sorry Ronald, forgot about your earlier post that you don't have an L400 lockset...
Old 05-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #10

Ontario
Registry
Lockset

Yes, I believe most 1975 and newer Bolers used the Bargman locksets...

Tags
boler