1975 Hunter Compact Floor Original linoleum - Asbestos Glue? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #1

Name: Bradley
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Oregon
1975 Hunter Compact Floor Original linoleum - Asbestos Glue?

Hi Everyone, this is my first time posting but I've been using the site a lot lately. It's been an amazing resource so far and I keep coming up with new ideas.
I recently got a good deal on a 1975 Hunter Compact 2 and starting my renovation. One of my first projects is ripping out the carpet but now I've run into linoleum. I've read a couple threads here dealing with the issue and it definitely seems case by case. Thought I might as well try to see if someone might have an answer that's definitive to my particular camper. I want to tear the linoleum up then sand the floor and glue down cork tiling (kudos to Jim Bennett for all the info! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-58623.html) Should I worry about this? Anyone have a hunter and had to deal with asbestos glue? I've attached photos of the linoleum incase it might help. Also, tempted to spend the $45 to get the glue tested for asbestos. Any thoughts appreciated.

If all else fails I'll leave it in and cover it with a layer of wood before the floor goes in. But it would be amazing to tear that 42 year old linoleum out.

-bradley
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171008_122926.jpg   IMG_20171008_122944.jpg  

IMG_20171008_123014.jpg  
Planetcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #2

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
At that time asbestos was still very common in floorings and adhesives.
I would suggest that you use the $14.00 per 4 x8 sheet underlayment from Depot. Staple and glue it down thightly. You will need to remove any high spots and fill any gaps in the flooring before laying the underlayment or they will show through. The material is 1/4 " thick. Make a paper pattern. Good luck and let us know how it went.
Next year I plan a frame off for my Compact. I'm going to redesign it for my daughter, son-in-law and there new baby. It will be basic, but what is needed for quick trips in California. I have a cracked frame just behind the front of the trailer and will need to find a place near Fresno to build a new one. I guess what I'm saying is have ckecked you frame. I didn't know mine was cracked until in dropped 6". almost a catastrophe. I was on the freeway. I should have paid closer attention.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry in Fowler View Post
You will need to remove any high spots and fill any gaps in the flooring before laying the underlayment or they will show through.
You do not want to disturb materials containing asbestos. Cover them up, sure, but don't disturb them.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #4

Oregon
Thanks for the info. Terry, Where would I look to see if the frame is cracked? In the metal or the wood underneath?

I'm going to end up sending a sample of the linoleum in to get tested for asbestos. I found a mail in kit online for $28. That way I know for sure and will let you know the results. If it does test positive i'll be sure to secure a wood underlayment.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I hope the test proves negative. If it is positive you can still remove it if you want to do so. There is a lot of good quality information for homeowners for removing it safely and also doing proper disposal of the materials. Your state's government website will have such information among its various online documents. Look in the building codes and health and safety sections to find this information. You need to stick with the regulations of your own local municipal/county waste disposal websites for information on the disposal of the materials.Do not get lost out in the wilderness of misinformation on the internet regarding this subject. Stick to the municipal, county and state websites as your sole information source because it is their legal requirements that you will have to be in compliance with.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #6

Oregon
Asbestos Glue Update - Tested Positive

Just an update. The glue tested positive for asbestos to I sealed the linoleum in with two coats of polyurethane then laid a plywood floor down with screws. Also filled in any gaps with wood filler and sanded everything. Next step will be laying in the glue down cork tiling. Thanks for all the responses!