1977 Scamp-door replacement? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 09:14 AM   #1

Name: Paula
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
1977 Scamp-door replacement?

We just purchased our first travel trailer and are loving it so far. Haven't tackled any of the interior projects yet-but replaced the tires, bearings and put new LED lights on. It is definitely a project trailer that we plan on taking our time with but is now safe to tow (although it made it from Chicago to Kansas after purchasing). Wondering if anyone has ever replaced the exterior door on one of these? I saw that you can buy replacement doors on the Scamp website, but not sure they would work on a trailer this old. Is there a good salvage resource out there to find older trailer parts? Not finding much on a basic google search. Thanks!!
pwenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp would be able to tell you if it would fit. The new Scamp 13s are taller, but I don't know if the door changed, too.

I've seen a few cases where door fit issues were traced to a loss of support in the shell around the door. If so, replacing the door may not solve the problem.

I'd say finding a used one in good shape is a long shot. Most of the threads I've seen involved people making repairs to the one they had.

Perhaps you could tell us about the issue(s) you're experiencing (pictures are good) and I bet you'll get some suggestions. Hinge sag and loss of curvature (creating a gap at the bottom) seem to be typical old-Scamp door problems.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I am currently working on my 77 S-13 and have taken the door (NFS) off to do repairs to the trailer. The older doors are a bit flimsy but can be stiffened up. One person built a door out of plywood about a year ago to fit a Love Bug (Scamp type trailer). What is the issue with your door? FWIW my door has the small narrow window.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Robert Johans a member here who is the builder of the new Nest Caravans shared with the list his approach to fixing an old Scamp door. He has included very detailed PDF's of the approach he took which you may find useful depending of what the issue is with the door you have.

The thread can be found at Scamp Door Repair and Mods.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #5

Name: Johnny
Trailer: 1977 Scamp
California
I'm having an issue as well. My door isn't fitting flush, seems to be compromised structurally as well. I took it off and it's leaking rusty H20 at the moment. Reaching out to Scamp to see if I can order a replacement.
thatuglyhooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp