I agree with Fred's comment. We bought a 1700 three and a half years ago. We did not need to gut it, but have done and continue to do major work.
We support the roof in several places with temporary 2x2 posts along the aisle inside when the camper is in storage. Also keep a cover on it when in storage.
So far we have:
- pulled, re-sealed and re-installed all of the windows
- replaced the brakes
, drums, bearings, wheels, tires
- ripped out the floor covering and patched rotted areas in the floor, then re-covered with foam tiles
- replaced floor-to-frame bolts
- replaced and re-wired all towing lights
- replaced the converter and upgraded to 30 amp AC
- re-painted interior
Right now replacing all of the rusty bolts holding the cabinets to the body. Also re-working the kitchen counter and sink.
Anyway good luck with your 1700!