1979 Bigfoot grey/blackwater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #1

Name: Livia
Trailer: 1979 Bigfoot 17'
Saskatchewan
Question 1979 Bigfoot grey/blackwater

I have traced our plumbing on our new-to-us 1979 Bigfoot and it appears that:
- the toilet is the holding tank for both the kitchen sink greywater and the toilet blackwater
- there is a vent t'd into PVC between the toilet tank and the kitchen sink which vents on the roof
- the pipe for the fresh water for the kitchen sink t's off with a nonreturn valve to the toilet for flushing
- there is a drain coming out of the bottom of the trailer with a cap and a t handle connected to the side of the cap body

It is the drain that I dont understand. It looks like it just dumps everything out? How do you dump it without the grey/blackwater going all over the ground? As it looks like a big open pipe that would dump unassisted, what is the t-handle for?

Here are pics of the toilet and under trailer drain cap.

Thanks in advance! This is my first trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   image.jpeg  

Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

Saskatchewan
My picture cut off the t handle which is orange/red and comes straight out of the rectangle on the left of the picture.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
You are correct about the plumbing. I have a Standard model (no shower) just like yours. The black water tank under the toilet hold 9 gallons and the kitchen sink is connected to it. To dump you will need a large hose that connects to the to the pictured white valve. The other end of the hose is placed into a dump station sewer line, then the T handle is pulled to open the flow. We camped with this setup for a year and found it to be a big problem. We paid Larry Gamble of Little House Customs to add a 14 gallon gray water tank underneath and plumb the sink to it. Problem solved. RV sewer hoses are very common. Got mine at Walmart. Canadian Tire sells them.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39761-Rh...=rv+sewer+hose
Old 05-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #4

Saskatchewan
Thanks!

(Didn't see the link initially)
Old 05-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
RV sewer hoses are very common. Got mine at Walmart. Canadian Tire sells them.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39761-Rh...=rv+sewer+hose
Tom, If I understood your comment on another thread, this Rhinoflex hose fit inside your Bigfoot bumper?

Just tested the system with some clean water and everything seems to work correctly. Amazing considering how long this Bigfoot sat before we bought it. We had a nice test trip this long weekend and were even passed by another Bigfoot on the road.

Tags
bigfoot