1979 Trillium roof support - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Name: Horacio
Trailer: 1979 Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
1979 Trillium roof support

Hi there,

I am looking to remove hacked together yet structural "furniture" from my trailer and make new ones. I am looking for ideas for low profile ceiling bracing that would give me lightweight structural support. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
mlequo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Post pictures indicating the portion of the roof needing support, and what is below this part of the roof now.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:33 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Post pictures indicating the portion of the roof needing support, and what is below this part of the roof now.
Hello John,

Thank you again for your reply. Have a look at the attached photo. I would like to make a full size bed and possibly get rid of the closet at the entrance. I would like to make some low profile roof support to do so...
Attached Thumbnails
support.jpg  
Old 05-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Seems clear you already know the cabinets are a main roof support. If you're only looking to add the few inches to allow for the width of a double bed you might just cut each cabinet down accordingly, leaving the rest in place
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I have seen numerous floor-to-ceiling roof braces, basically a partition or wall, cut from plywood. Another option would be to insert one or more posts.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Closet is the main support for that wall and the door jamb. I wouldn't touch it.

If you really want a large bed, I'd sell your Trillium and get something else. There are other brands with more spacious bed area.

All the fiberglass cabinets are structural, not just for the roof.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Closet is the main support for that wall and the door jamb. I wouldn't touch it.

If you really want a large bed, I'd sell your Trillium and get something else. There are other brands with more spacious bed area.

All the fiberglass cabinets are structural, not just for the roof.
Thank you very much for the comment. Yes, I understand the idea of support. The cabinet however moves freely and its role as a support is somewhat limited as it stands.

Additionally, I have a bit of a sag in the center of the roof where the cutout for the fan is. I would like to build a solid (yet ultra light) cabinet that would extend all the way up to the higher portion of the roof and give support to the center part of the roof. Does that make sense?
Old 05-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
So what model Trillium do you have? There are lots of differences. If your cabinets are wood, you have more choices. On the 1300 and 4500 models, the original cabinets were fiberglassed to the shell and floor.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
So what model Trillium do you have? There are lots of differences. If your cabinets are wood, you have more choices. On the 1300 and 4500 models, the original cabinets were fiberglassed to the shell and floor.
Hello Bill, yes, my cabinets are all wood.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #10

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
If you go to this site, you can see how this boler was modified. https://www.proud-canadian.com/13-bo...eyond-1/boler/

I have seen a number of people make an interior arch that they then turn into a "room" divider.

Could not find the picture I am looking for, but it is on this site somewhere.

Hope this helps
Old 05-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
If you go to this site, you can see how this boler was modified. https://www.proud-canadian.com/13-bo...eyond-1/boler/

I have seen a number of people make an interior arch that they then turn into a "room" divider.

Could not find the picture I am looking for, but it is on this site somewhere.

Hope this helps
Thank you very much, yes, this is a very interesting solution - exactly what I have been looking for. I am sure those supports could be extended to address the center of the roof sagging area.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #12

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
Maybe I am a little late posting a suggestion but look for Surfside Saga in the search. It will lead you to a reno by a fellow named Peter who did a lot of structural work on his Surfside, a trailer very similar to the Trillium. He did upright supports as well as roof support. Lots of pics to give you ideas. Good luck.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium