1981 Bigfoot holding tank sizes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #1

Name: Allie
Trailer: 81 Bigfoot 17
FORT COLLINS
1981 Bigfoot holding tank sizes

Hello fiberglass fam!

We recently bought a 1981 Bigfoot 17 (Deluxe model) that's in really great shape, just needs some routine upgrading. Seems as though the previous owners hardly used it! We are in northern Colorado and plan on living in it full-time starting in October. Our plan is to head south/west to start and not spend too much time initially in Colorado for winter.

There are a few things that are causing us to scratch our heads a bit that I was hoping for some insight on.

We cannot figure out the sizes of our holding tanks! I think the water tank is 28 gallons, but not sure about the black and grey tanks. I've looked at the old 1981 brochure but it doesn't have any info regarding sizing. The sensors appeared to be working initially, but now they are all reading as empty, even though the water tank is full. We ended up replacing both valves for the black and grey water tanks just because they are 40 years old and not looking so great. Otherwise we are good to go, there!

Any advice on where to start when it comes to maybe replacing the sensors would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!
Allie
alliestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Hey. Sounds like a great plan! I spend 6 months of the year in my Bigfoot. Compared with more egg-shape fiberglass trailers, you'll really appreciate the extra space in the Bigfoot.

I don't know about 1981, but here's the brochure for my 1991. The white column is the 17' model, though the capacities seem to be the same for all sizes (13.5, 17 and 19).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capacities.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	137012

The tanks have sensors attached at different levels. If they worked, then stopped working, I'd check the ground first. If I knew where the ground was that would be really helpful to you...Honestly I'm not sure if these will have their own ground, or if there's only one ground for the entire electrical system.

There's definitely going to be some corrosion. I think the sensors thread into the tanks. If you can remove them and clean them up, that will help. But I'd check for an obvious problem with wires and the ground first.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #3

Name: Allie
Trailer: 81 Bigfoot 17
FORT COLLINS
Thank you! This helps. That's kind of what we were thinking the sizes are so we are just going to go with that for now.

Thanks for the advice on the sensors, too. We are going to dive into this next week and see what we can find out.
alliestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #4

Montana
Sounds good. Good luck.

The holding tank level monitors aren't necessary, but they sure are nice.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
My 1988 B-17 deluxe has a 23 gallon water tank, a 15 gallon grey tank, and a 8gallon black tank. My sensors are also erratic. I get on my knees and look at the water tank under the gaucho and I open the flusher and look into the black tank. I’ve not found a work around for the grey tank and wouldn’t you know it is most likely to overflow, and it has... twice! And so it goes.....
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Interesting tank size differences...our 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud (28’) has a 21 gallon black water tank, 31 gallon fresh water tank, and a 51 gallon grey water tank. Bigger the trailer, bigger the tanks! And the sensors only work accurately occasionally.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #7

Montana
Interesting that so many of the older Bigfoot gauges don't work. The only issue I have with mine is crud getting on them, so they read more full than they are.

I'm guessing it's a rust thing. Much less of that in Montana, and Alberta where I bought my trailer.

I'd pull the sensors and clean them up...
Old 08-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #8

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Heads up on tank capacities. Is your brochure an American one or Canadian one? Our gallons aren't the same one... Canadian/Imperial gallon = 1.2 U.S. gallon. The brochures from Bigfoot are probably in Canadian gallons unless noted otherwise.
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
No such thing as a Canadian gallon. There is an imperial gallon, but I know of nothing sold by the imperial gallon in Canada. Litres yes, gallons no.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #10

British Columbia
oh contraire mon frere! Right after The Bill of Rights was returned from Westminster the gallon became OURS. No more Imperialism! :-]
Old 08-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #11

Gas is sold in litres, milk is sold in litres. Tell me where in Canada you can buy a gallon of gas or a quart of milk.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:08 PM   #12

British Columbia
You win! You're correct and I've been a fan of your comments for some time. It was my pathetic attempt at injecting some humour.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrorojo View Post
You win! You're correct and I've been a fan of your comments for some time. It was my pathetic attempt at injecting some humour.

Not pathetic.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:13 PM   #14

Name: Jon
California
Speaking of imperial gallons and pathetic attempts at humor...
Attached Thumbnails
lack_of_gallons.jpg  
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
holding tanks

Allie We once owned a 1981 Bigfoot 17 and had similar questions . The answer specifically for the black water tank as to size is not nearly big enough ! We answered the question by simply dumping the black water , then pouring in water from a 5 gallon container and then topping off with one gallon at a time until full ( I don't remember for sure but I think around 8 gallons ) I don't have any suggestions for the fresh and gray water tanks but for us the black water tank was the big issue . Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
My 2008 has a paper attached to the inside of the wardrobe beside the sink with all the capacities.
Phil Ruffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot