1981 scamp heater/asbestos? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2022, 07:10 PM   #1

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Scamp?
Texas
1981 scamp heater/asbestos?

Hi- I know there have been related questions before but are usually for older than this camper...I am looking at/considering buying a 1981 Scamp 13 footer. It still has original: 2 burner stove, suburban furnace, cushions, upholstery, floor carpet (looks like indoor/outdoor/blotchy), unsure on the holding tank, and has elephant skin-the frig has been replaced.

Anticipating some re-dos and repairs now or in future and have read about and have concern about asbestos particularly around heater in old campers but am hoping all that pre-dates this one. (or around the original wiring/any possible sources which may be in disrepair or could crumble, flake)

Anyone know for sure? I have also read a lot of how to remove if suspected but really just prefer to avoid it if possible.

Thanks
TeresaG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:49 PM   #2

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
Even if it was present, it wouldn't concern me in the least.

Installing or removing asbestos on a daily basis for 40 years without proper protective gear? Sure, that's cause for worry.

Being in the same general area with an item containing undisturbed asbestos? That's not even in the top 1000 things most likely to kill me.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:04 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelInTexas View Post
Even if it was present, it wouldn't concern me in the least.

Installing or removing asbestos on a daily basis for 40 years without proper protective gear? Sure, that's cause for worry.

Being in the same general area with an item containing undisturbed asbestos? That's not even in the top 1000 things most likely to kill me.
I second that. Handle it like you would handle fiberglass insulation.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:43 PM   #4

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
If exposure to asbestos is a big concern, the method of drilling asbestos tiles and other stuff is to cover in shaving cream. That captures the dust, then wipe up, double bag ect ect. With short-term exposures, it can be negated with something to capture particles plus filtering mask and appropriate PPE. 30 plus years of exposure to it in so many ways and places with the military. I wish that was just the worst things I've been exposed too.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:05 PM   #5

Name: Josh
Trailer: 74, 13' Boler
Alberta
The only component I know of for sure that has asbestos is the lower gasket inside the gravity feed furnace. I have no idea what year asbestos stopped being used, but our 1975 boler has a Wagon Master furnace which is almost guaranteed to contain an asbestos gasket.

The inside of the burner can of the gravity feed furnace vents directly outside and so has no air movement into the inside of the trailer with the exception of while lighting if you open the sight window. If you are worried about exposure or the risk of mesothelioma then you should look at a new high efficiency furnace installation.

For me working on it, I took precautions like never blow compressed air into the burner can. Wear a P100 respirator when taking apart or reassembling the unit, etc. Asbestos is only dangerous when the fibres are airborne. It's a concern, but not a huge risk.
Josh Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:03 PM   #6

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Scamp?
Texas
thanks

I appreciate all the input. Thank you
TeresaG2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp