1982 13' Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi All!

I just picked up a 1982 13' Burro. I got it from a couple who had it sitting on their property idle for over 20 years under a tarp. It looked to have good bones and I couldn't resist. Though I can handle the cleaning of the trailer it does need some other work done that I don't feel confident handling myself.

The door latch needs replacing, it needs a new battery, and could use a new vent/fan installed. The icebox is missing a door and should be replaced or a new icebox installed and a few other odds and ends. I would really like to have a once over done on it by someone who knows what they are doing and what to look for.

Does anyone know any place or someone near Pasadena, CA that I can take my Burro trailer to have them do the work or help me out? If there is an individual who can help me, I don't mind either helping with the work (I actully perfer this) or staying out of the way, if that is what is needed!

Thanks,
Irene
Irene Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
learning to work on your own trailer is not as daunting as it might initially seem.

Outside of electrical and gas, and the running gear, (Safety critical items) there isn't much you can do to damage it.

It's easy to take it on yourself when you realize that it's like working on the hobbie car. You don't *Need* it for day to day life and getting around, and this gives you the luxury of taking it slow and doing things correctly.. and with a little flair.

I have done all the things you have listed, sans the icebox door. I am not anxious to do it again, but you may get a bite.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Labor costs are going to take a big bite out of a budget. I'm the type that would rather spend more money to buy better quality than pay the difference to someone to either install or fix. Basically what you're looking to do is to "replace," not "modify" or "make different." I'd suggest you start with the small stuff first to gain confidence before taking on something a bit harder. Even replacing the refrigerator door shouldn't be a big deal, afterall you're just putting one back on where there was one before! I've replaced the door latch on my trailer...that really was easy. Remove one, put a new one on in the same place using the same screw holes, etc.

Do you have the original manuals for the trailer? What brand/model is the refrigerator door? Members of FiberglassRV can help with info and guidance!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
learning to work on your own trailer is not as daunting as it might initially seem.

Outside of electrical and gas, and the running gear, (Safety critical items) there isn't much you can do to damage it.

It's easy to take it on yourself when you realize that it's like working on the hobbie car. You don't *Need* it for day to day life and getting around, and this gives you the luxury of taking it slow and doing things correctly.. and with a little flair.

I have done all the things you have listed, sans the icebox door. I am not anxious to do it again, but you may get a bite.

I am more than willing to try to do everything myself, any recommendations on where to buy replacement parts either locally or via the internet?

Thanks for encouragement and help!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Labor costs are going to take a big bite out of a budget. I'm the type that would rather spend more money to buy better quality than pay the difference to someone to either install or fix. Basically what you're looking to do is to "replace," not "modify" or "make different." I'd suggest you start with the small stuff first to gain confidence before taking on something a bit harder. Even replacing the refrigerator door shouldn't be a big deal, afterall you're just putting one back on where there was one before! I've replaced the door latch on my trailer...that really was easy. Remove one, put a new one on in the same place using the same screw holes, etc.

Do you have the original manuals for the trailer? What brand/model is the refrigerator door? Members of FiberglassRV can help with info and guidance!

No original manuals. I will check the refrigerator brand/model today. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Irene, over on the left nav bar, under "Resources", you'll find the Document Center. Within that link are resources to help you...starting with the Burro manual (under Trailer Brands). Also check out the manuals for all the appliances, etc.

We'll work on the "where-to-buy" parts when you get to the specifics.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Irene, I bought our 17' Widebody Burro off of ebay. It was in horrible shape but I love to learn and love to tinker. I could have purchased another widebody Burro but would have driven a lot further to pick it up and would have spent more money on something that I would end up modifying for our family needs.

Since the purchase of our egg I have learned how to fiberglass, weld, replace an axle, wire and adjust brakes, wire for 12 volt, and continue to read and learn. Still need to plumb the egg and install lights. We have installed a bathroom, on the streetside, and a 3 way refrigerator and stove on the curb side. We did have help with the propane lines as that is something I am very cautious about.

The beauty of all of this...it will be exactly as we would like it AND we will know how to repair anything that should wear out or break down. This is especially helpful while camping in the wilderness of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

I am a 5'2", 120 lb (or so) woman with a full time job, energetic 6 year old daughter, and very understanding and supportive husband. When I didn't have the muscle to complete a task, Mike would pitch in, but for the most part, the rehab of the Burro has been my passion and hobby.

You can do it with a little help from your friends.

Best of luck,
Donna
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Hi Irene. Congratulations on your new Burro! I have an '83 13' Burro. I have the Burro manual and some miscellaneous literature. Nothing on the icebox except a quick mention in the Burro manual. Let me know if any of this would help!
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Irene, over on the left nav bar, under [b]"Resources", you'll find the Document Center. Within that link are resources to help you...starting with the Burro manual (under Trailer Brands). Also check out the manuals for all the appliances, etc.

We'll work on the "where-to-buy" parts when you get to the specifics.
I have printed the manual in the resources as you directed and will read through so I can get a better handle on things.

Thanks, wow everyone has been great.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Irene, I bought our 17' Widebody Burro off of ebay. It was in horrible shape but I love to learn and love to tinker. I could have purchased another widebody Burro but would have driven a lot further to pick it up and would have spent more money on something that I would end up modifying for our family needs.

Since the purchase of our egg I have learned how to fiberglass, weld, replace an axle, wire and adjust brakes, wire for 12 volt, and continue to read and learn. Still need to plumb the egg and install lights. We have installed a bathroom, on the streetside, and a 3 way refrigerator and stove on the curb side. We did have help with the propane lines as that is something I am very cautious about.

The beauty of all of this...it will be exactly as we would like it AND we will know how to repair anything that should wear out or break down. This is especially helpful while camping in the wilderness of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

I am a 5'2", 120 lb (or so) woman with a full time job, energetic 6 year old daughter, and very understanding and supportive husband. When I didn't have the muscle to complete a task, Mike would pitch in, but for the most part, the rehab of the Burro has been my passion and hobby.

You can do it with a little help from your friends.

Best of luck,
Donna
Yes, more and more I am feeling that I will be able to do this. The encouragement has been great. I admire your ability to take on a challenge, learn, and conquer. You sound like you could handle just about anything you took on!

I am looking forward to being able to write how I got my little Burro to a condition of my liking as well soon.

Irene
Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi Irene. Congratulations on your new Burro! I have an '83 13' Burro. I have the Burro manual and some miscellaneous literature. Nothing on the icebox except a quick mention in the Burro manual. Let me know if any of this would help!
How cool are you?! I printed the manual for the '81 Burro from Resources but any additional literature is welcomed.

How long have you had your Burro and what kind of shape was it in when you got it?

Thanks,
Irene
Old 06-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Quote:
How long have you had your Burro and what kind of shape was it in when you got it?
I have had my Burro for about two years. A previous owner had done a lot of work, so it was in very good condition. I'll make copies of the miscellaneous literature I have next week. I am sure you will have a lot of great camping trips with your new Burro!
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro