1982 Scamp 13' AC Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1982
Greetings, I have just purchased a 1982 Scamp 13'. The Scamp as no air conditioner, and would like to put one in. I have read about putting the AC in windows and closets. Could I install a AC unit on top of the 1982 Scamp. I know cost would be much high. I would prefer a top unit, if it will work. If I can install a top unit, what size btu's would I need. I live in Texas.
Need some help.
Thanks

Tom C
Plano, TX
Thomas A Cronquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Tom....
If you have the standard 14"x14" roof vent you can install ac right into one of them.... there are many brands out there and i am not sure what size btu you would need (guessing between 5000-8000btu) but here is a link to one of many ac's that will fit in that 14x14 roof vent....
hope this helps.
Joe

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-air-...conditioner.htm
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Congrats Tom,

You have made a good choice in Scamp. When I looked into installing an air unit on top of our 2002 Scamp, the factory told me reinforcement bracing was installed during production and pre-wired (you cannot see the bracing). Our 1983 13' did not have this pre-installed bracing. I would call Scamp to double check. Air conditioners are nearly 100lbs or more and would require bracing other than just the standard fiberglass roof. Let me know if you find an alternative which works better. we currently use a household AC portable and mounted to the rear window when needed. Consider buying the smallest unit, 5500 btu feels like the artic in that small of space.
Pat Janszen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Our 1983 13' did not have this pre-installed bracing. I would call Scamp to double check. Air conditioners are nearly 100lbs or more and would require bracing other than just the standard fiberglass roof.
Absolutely true, only those Scamps ordered for roof top A/C came with the extra bracing prior to approx. two years ago. Adding roof A/C to a roof not designed for the weight is asking for trouble.

Double-check with Scamp...have your VIN number handy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1982
What a great forum,
Thanks to all the responses.
I will check with Scamp, on the bracing of the roof.
Thanks again, more questions to follow.
Tom C
Thomas A Cronquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You're welcome. I can understand your want for a roof A/C...it doesn't take up valuable closet space and doesn't look "weird" hanging out a window...when you'd rather use the window to "look out." However, one thing can be said about a window A/C or cabinet A/C..they're fairly simple to uninstall and can be left at home (including the weight) when the weather means you don't need it.

Steve Hilby recently posted a couple of pictures of his sister's Compact Junior where they had made some "ribs" to hold the roof up. Perhaps something similar can be done on your Scamp...if necessary. In fact, pre-hack we had some pictures that a member posted where they had fiberglassed metal ribs that ran up the walls and across the roof and down the other side...to support a roof A/C and power vent. So we know it can be done, it just depends on how much effort (and skill) a person is willing to use.

Find the pic of the CJ HERE
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Tom,

When we got our '82 13 footer I called Scamp with the same question. They said that we could not add a roof A/C--it's simply not made to support that weight. We ended up installing our A/C through the wall. Not the most attractive sight, but it works!

Good luck with yours--you'll need it as much in Texas as we do in Alabama!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Greetings, I have just purchased a 1982 Scamp 13'. The Scamp as no air conditioner, and would like to put one in. I have read about putting the AC in windows and closets. Could I install a AC unit on top of the 1982 Scamp. I know cost would be much high. I would prefer a top unit, if it will work. If I can install a top unit, what size btu's would I need. I live in Texas.
Need some help.
Thanks

Tom C
Plano, TX
Hi Thomas,
I aquired a '83 Scamp and refurbished it including a closet AC install. I removed a terrible install of a burned out, oversized unit and replaced it with a 5000 BTU Fridgidare window unit from Lowes. It works great here in hot n' humid South Carolina.

Here's a link to a slideshow video I've posted on Youtube.com that you may give you ideas about coolin' your closet.

Enjoy your Scamp!
ConwayBob
Old 06-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium
I got a Goldstar 5000 btu for $40.00 for opening a credit card at Home Depot about a month ago. Just in time to use for this years first hot weather. Its very light we haul it on the floor of the camper and put it in the emergency exit window at the camp site. Very light sets up in a Jiffy. If you get it be sure to remove the drain plug before use it made for a wet night when it overflowed onto our bed.

Good Luck

Don
D Martin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp