1983 13 ft Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
We just purchased a 1983 13 foot Burro and we are trying to track down a source for accessories. Would like to add an awning and screen door.

Thank you,
Alice and Phil
Alice Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro
Quote:
We just purchased a 1983 13 foot Burro and we are trying to track down a source for accessories. Would like to add an awning and screen door.

Thank you,
Alice and Phil
Welcome to my world. I have an 85 13'. All I have been able to find is homeaid ones and/or expensive rv ones. The one that looked the most promising though was the Keltly deluxe tent. Just go to the Kelty site and it shows a piture of it. One of the discussions here also had a picture of it in use. Looked perfect.

And...just to save you some time, good luck finding replacement taillights if you need them. I ended up just replacing the internal parts (which I got from an auto parts store) and had to keep the existing faded ones.
Randy Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Welcome to my world. I have an 85 13'. All I have been able to find is homeaid ones and/or expensive rv ones. The one that looked the most promising though was the Keltly deluxe tent. Just go to the Kelty site and it shows a piture of it. One of the discussions here also had a picture of it in use. Looked perfect.

And...just to save you some time, good luck finding replacement taillights if you need them. I ended up just replacing the internal parts (which I got from an auto parts store) and had to keep the existing faded ones.
Randy,

Thank you for the heads up on the taillights, so far they are in perfect condition, but we take her on her maiden voyage next weekend. With any luck she comes back in one piece! We have been tent dwellers and were lucky enough to stumble across the Burro a couple weekends ago. I love the simplicity and clean lines of the design.

I will check out Keltly.

Happy Camping!
Alice Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Quote:

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-112.htm
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Tail lights?
I'm keeping my eyes peeled at car shows for some "Bitchin" 60.s Ford Thunderbird taillights. Saw some on a trailer and the're real cool with the chrome all polished.
Or match your existing tow.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Tail lights?
I'm keeping my eyes peeled at car shows for some "Bitchin" 60.s Ford Thunderbird taillights. Saw some on a trailer and the're real cool with the chrome all polished.
Or match your existing tow.
Ford Thunderbird Taillights: The Birds Nest
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #7

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Watch out for tail lights that look close but are not a match. My Burro's an '81 and here's a pix of the original tail lights that came with it.
Attached Thumbnails
reflectolite.gif  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Hello Alice,

We have had a 1987 13' Burro for ten years. We were naive when we bought it and inherited some real problems to fix, but have enjoyed it a lot since and hope you enjoy yours as much! We also live in WA and last week I saw a 13' Burro on the Olympic Peninsula, I have never seen one before in all our travels so wonder if it was you?!

I made a screen door "curtain" for ours but found we just never used it or felt the need for one. There is a web site with instructions on making a screen door for small trailers
http://www.geocities.com/bolerama/screendoor.html

We looked but never found an awning, we just use a tarp with pole legs out front.

All other parts we have had to replace we were able to find at the local RV store, most things seems interchangeable. Yes, the tail light was a challenge, we have one original round and one rectangular, makes our little Burro even more unique!

If you do live nearby would enjoy talking or emailing with you sometime - Burro owners seem rare! We met a couple with a new 17' model once at Mt. Adams. Hope your madian voyage was a good one!

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
OT: Welcome to FiberglassRV Penney & Mike! Keep in mind the Northern Oregon Gathering coming up in October, would love to meet you in person

Link to NOG, click HERE: Northern Oregon Gathering
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
If you buy the right screen house, you can have two for one. Our screen house serves as a screen door to keep the bugs at bay and works as an awning. We use it for our UHaul but also used it for our 13 foot Burro. It is high enough to permit the door to open inside it. It is made by Ozark and about 50 bucks at Walmart. Ours is blue but they seem to be brown now. You might check Walmart's web site. Here's a picture:

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
UHaul_2.rev.jpg  
Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #11

Quote:
If you buy the right screen house, you can have two for one. Our screen house serves as a screen door to keep the bugs at bay and works as an awning. We use it for our UHaul but also used it for our 13 foot Burro. It is high enough to permit the door to open inside it. It is made by Ozark and about 50 bucks at Walmart. Ours is blue but they seem to be brown now. You might check Walmart's web site. Here's a picture:

CindyL
I like your screen house. Looks perfect. I especially like the price. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:

Thank you,
Alice and Phil
Are there any Ideas out there on getting a rock guard for the front window on a burro! I would love one of those!
corey lossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Hi Cory,
The Olympic Peninsula and Long Beach Peninsula are quite a distance away so it probably wasn't you I saw. It is fun to know there are Burro owners around, as I mentioned, in 10 years of owning our trailer we'd never seen a 13 footer and only one 17 footer until my "sighting" last week. Then yesterday we saw one in a storage yard in Port Angeles!

Doesn't your front window have a fiberglass awning that folds down over the window when traveling? If not you may be able to purchase that from the manufacturer. Ours does and it has held up to many a rocky road.
Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi Cory,
The Olympic Peninsula and Long Beach Peninsula are quite a distance away so it probably wasn't you I saw. It is fun to know there are Burro owners around, as I mentioned, in 10 years of owning our trailer we'd never seen a 13 footer and only one 17 footer until my "sighting" last week. Then yesterday we saw one in a storage yard in Port Angeles!

Doesn't your front window have a fiberglass awning that folds down over the window when traveling? If not you may be able to purchase that from the manufacturer. Ours does and it has held up to many a rocky road.
Penney
No manufacturer. They are out of business. There have been some on this forum that said they built thier own.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #15

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
I tried to track down the owner of the Burro in that storage yard when we were looking for a trailer. An elderly gentleman burning brush out back owned the storage yard and said that the owner of the Burro bought it cheap from a lady in the adjoining mobile home park. He said that the owner is in town for only part of the year, uses it for a hunting trailer, and that he would never sell it. I have yet to see it move.

Did you notice the 13' Acorn tucked beneath some trees on the south side of the highway not far from there? It was on a farm just west of Carlsborg (the empty Costco building) and the poor thing looked like it was turning green. She wouldn't sell either--said it was the only dry place to store her saddles.

Derek

Quote:
Hi Cory,

Penney
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #16

Registry
Cory,

I am the person who recommended the screen house. We are coming back from a trip to MN. We did not see that screen house in any of the Walmarts we were in and I noticed that the brown one that I thought replaced it is not as large as our house is. However, we bought a new one, because we were looking for one that does not take putting all the frame together to set it up. We bought the First Up at Walmart. I am sitting in it as I type this. It just fits over the UHaul door, so it still does a great job as both an awning and a screen door (after you buy the screen part too) to keep out bugs. It seems sturdier. The other one went down in a wind storm and was being held together with duck tape. While it takes two people to set it up, it is easier. I can post a picture when we take one.
It is more expensive.

CindyL
Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Cory,

I am the person who recommended the screen house. We are coming back from a trip to MN. We did not see that screen house in any of the Walmarts we were in and I noticed that the brown one that I thought replaced it is not as large as our house is. However, we bought a new one, because we were looking for one that does not take putting all the frame together to set it up. We bought the First Up at Walmart. I am sitting in it as I type this. It just fits over the UHaul door, so it still does a great job as both an awning and a screen door (after you buy the screen part too) to keep out bugs. It seems sturdier. The other one went down in a wind storm and was being held together with duck tape. While it takes two people to set it up, it is easier. I can post a picture when we take one.
It is more expensive.

CindyL
I had to buy the brown one online at Walmart. With the ship to store option I was able to get it for only $35. Looking forward to using it. Also, FYI, at Fred Meyer I got a 4 pack of sand bags for tents for $6. Made to keep them down so they don't blow away. That way you can keep your duct tape for other things
Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Hi Alice and Phil. Welcome! I have an '83 Burro, too. I hope you have a fantastic time on your first voyage and many more great camping adventures with your new Burro.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #19

Registry
Thanks, Randy,

With our new screen house, we got long stakes for the ground. However, we also plan to get sand buckets. We want them in blue to match the screen house and trailer, so we will likely get the ones that match our new screen house.

CindyL
Old 08-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks, Randy,

With our new screen house, we got long stakes for the ground. However, we also plan to get sand buckets. We want them in blue to match the screen house and trailer, so we will likely get the ones that match our new screen house.

CindyL
Not to beat a dead burro, but the sandbags I was mentioning are also blue canvas. I will try and get a picture of one tomorrow for you to see.

Hey, just an FYI, on the modifications and neat upgrades, there is a forum called 13' bowler LED lights. His lights look exactly like the Burro lights. I think it was you who wanted to redo your lights right?

Tags
burro