1984 Bigfoot 17" furnace problem - replacement? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
1984 Bigfoot 17" furnace problem - replacement?

Hi,

I have been unsuccessfully trying to find a replacement gas control valve for the Hydro-Flame FA79(?) furnace in my '84 Bigfoot. The problem with the controller is that it opens the main burner valve in pilot lighting mode which is not good.

My next consideration is to replace the furnace and I'm wondering how easy that is. Has anyone replaced an old piezo furnace with a newer Atwood 7912 model that has direct spark? That would be a nice upgrade from having to light the pilot. Any suggestions on where to buy a replacement furnace in Canada?

Thanks!
threepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
In our 1991 Bigfoot we had the pilot model furnace replaced with an electronic ignition model when the blower bearing went bad. We paid an experienced mobile RV tech to do it. The install was easy. He struggled mightily removing the old one, which was stuck. Better him than me.
Tim D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

Alberta
That is great to hear. Thanks for letting me know it is possible and relatively easy.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
I replaced my furnace in a 86 17ft a few years back and it was a fairly easy task. As the other poster said mine was also stuck but other than that it was easy.
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:28 AM   #5

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
If the day comes when I need to replace the furnace in my '02 Bigfoot, how did you get it unstuck? Brute force? Intelligent influence? Persuasive hammer?
40bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
If I remember right, it was stuck where the furnace connects to the exhaust vent. I just kept pulling the furnace and kind of working it side to side. Again as I said it was a fairly simple job.
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
In my 79 Boler I Replaced my DuoTherm standing Pilot with an electric spark unit I baught second hand from a dealer. It had come out of a pop-up and fit right in and the face plate fit right in the mounting tabs from one to the other.
I installed it and it came out with just a wriggle this way then that to get the exhaust pipes to slide. I did take all the screws out of the exerior flange just in case they would catch on the inside somewhere.
Been working fine now for the 4th season.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #8

Alberta
Still without a furnace. Twice now I've ordered a new furnace and after waiting a month was told they are unavailable. I contacted Atwood this morning and found the 7900 series has been discontinued and that I might have problems finding a replacement.

They told me their new similar line are the AFSD series. Just wondering if anyone has managed to replace their furnace with this new model.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #9

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
We replaced our with a vent free Olympic Wave. It keeps us nice and warm

Name:   IMG_0729.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:   IMG_0811.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  24.0 KB

We made a panel to fit where the old furnace was and cut the hole for the new unit. It has zero clearance behind it
www.directuganda.com
Mountain Moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #10

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
You look with Propex?

https://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/country/canada
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:20 PM   #11

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Moma View Post
We replaced our with a vent free Olympic Wave. It keeps us nice and warm

Attachment 105959Attachment 105960

We made a panel to fit where the old furnace was and cut the hole for the new unit. It has zero clearance behind it
Wow, thank you very much! That might be a great solution for us. I love the idea of not having a fan come on during the night. Do you happen to know which model you put in?
Old 05-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #12

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Thanks, I'll check that out too!
Old 05-13-2017, 12:24 AM   #13

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by threepine View Post
Wow, thank you very much! That might be a great solution for us. I love the idea of not having a fan come on during the night. Do you happen to know which model you put in?
We put in the 6000. We have a 17b and it can keep it very warm. I would start it in the morning when I was working on the trailer and had a small electric heater with a fan I would start at the same time in less than an hour it would be over 80 in there.

I never let it run over night as it was a bit of a construction zone but on low it would keep it between 50 and 60 even if it was way below freezing outside by itself

We got the mounting ring because of where it was located instead of just doing the wall mount and you do have to order the elbo fitting if you do the mounted one.

We ordered ours online and it goes on sale if you watch
www.directuganda.com
Old 05-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #14

Alberta
Quote:
We put in the 6000. We have a 17b and it can keep it very warm. I would start it in the morning when I was working on the trailer and had a small electric heater with a fan I would start at the same time in less than an hour it would be over 80 in there.

I never let it run over night as it was a bit of a construction zone but on low it would keep it between 50 and 60 even if it was way below freezing outside by itself

We got the mounting ring because of where it was located instead of just doing the wall mount and you do have to order the elbo fitting if you do the mounted one.

We ordered ours online and it goes on sale if you watch
Thanks Amy, that is great to know. I am in Alberta too and the only place I can find one in Canada is Amazon but surprisingly the Wave-8 is a lot cheaper than the 6. I guess I'll go measure the space to see if a Wave-8 will fit.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #15

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by threepine View Post
Thanks Amy, that is great to know. I am in Alberta too and the only place I can find one in Canada is Amazon but surprisingly the Wave-8 is a lot cheaper than the 6. I guess I'll go measure the space to see if a Wave-8 will fit.

We ordered from amazon.com

It was cheaper even with the exchange

Name:   IMG_0939.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  42.6 KB

With the free shipping we added in a few other things like the elbo fitting and it all shipped free.
www.directuganda.com
Old 05-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #16

Alberta
Quote:
We ordered from amazon.com

It was cheaper even with the exchange

With the free shipping we added in a few other things like the elbo fitting and it all shipped free.
Thanks again. I see shipping as $100 and that turned me off a bit but I do have a Canadian Prime membership so I will see if that works or else try a temporary US one.
I really appreciate this as I think it will be a great solution and battery saver. We don't camp in the winter but do in the off season so it should do the trick.

Tags
bigfoot, furnace