1985 U Haul camper 10' Bunk Bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #1

Name: WILL
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul 13 foot
Minnesota
Talking 1985 U Haul camper 10' Bunk Bed

Yes. I am very new to this. I have a 1985 U-Haul camper that I just purchased a week ago. I already love it. The only thing it really needs is the Bunk bed. I know that I probably need to be very creative but I am hoping on a long shot that someone can help me out. I am missing every peace of it, Including the fiberglass insert that connects in the front of the camper. I will happily accept any constructive advise you may have to offer. If there are plans, Well that would be even better.

Thank you, Will
willwheelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You need to go over to the Uhaul Facebook page. Someone over there built a very nice bunk setup. I think they have that trailer for sale now. Ours is also missing the front bunk and fiberglass support structure but we don't need bunks and leave the rear as a bed.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #3

Minnesota
Thank you. I really do appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 11-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #4

Minnesota
I have seen a lot of mods and neat bunk beds but i sm really hoping to ether make a replacement/ replica of the original if i cannot find an OEM one.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Will, is there a reason you want the bunk back? Most people remove them to make the front couch more usable. When the bunk is in the 'down' position, it makes the couch uncomfortably shallow for sitting. The weight limit for anyone sleeping on the top bunk is about 80lbs. So that's why many people take them out.
When I removed mine (good riddance ) I passed the parts onto another UH owner. So you will hopefully be able to find the pieces you need.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #6

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Will,
I got an 85 U-Haul recently myself... have only just begun modifying and/or repairing all that it needs. I don't figure I need the bunk assembly... and it's all there, with the swing-down props etc. [Don't remember if I have the molded fiberglass bit or not--can go out back and check today or tomorrow.] I'm in central Iowa, so not impossibly far away, depending on where you are in MN.
Gary
Old 11-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #7

Minnesota
Gary, That would be great. I have two kids that have a bunk bed at home and would do great with one in the camper. I live 40 minutes west of Minneapolis. Please let me know how you would like to set something up and I would be grateful. Thank you so much, Will
wgwheelock@gmail.com
Old 11-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by groys02 View Post
Will,
I got an 85 U-Haul recently myself... have only just begun modifying and/or repairing all that it needs. I don't figure I need the bunk assembly... and it's all there, with the swing-down props etc. [Don't remember if I have the molded fiberglass bit or not--can go out back and check today or tomorrow.] I'm in central Iowa, so not impossibly far away, depending on where you are in MN.
Gary
If you have the bunk, then you should have the fiberglass piece. It is glued/screwed to the inner shell under the front window. If you remove it you just need to repair the holes, and cover up the raw fiberglass that will be exposed. This is what mine looked like that I removed. (it went to another UH owner)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4476 (Large).JPG   IMG_4478 (Large).JPG  

Old 11-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #9

Minnesota
Thank you. I do not have that piece on mine ether. I really do mean it on the description. I have non of the parts. I figured that i could make the piece of i had to.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #10

New York
Cover the raw fiberglass with carpet. Probably the wood that the hinge fastened to is still there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0299.jpg   IMG_0300.jpg  

Old 11-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #11

Minnesota
Thats a great idea. I do not have the wood pieace but i sm sure i could figure it out. Thank you

Old 11-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #12

Minnesota
Am sure. Sorry im typing on a phone

Old 11-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #13

New York
The horizontal wood "shelf" piece and vertical wood supports were fiberglassed to the outer shell. With the big fiberglass "bubble" piece gone and using the front area for seating that horizontal piece poked me in my back so I had to trim it and the supports down narrower. Is all the wood gone in yours? If so you'll have to fabricate something.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #14

Iowa
My thanks, too, to Pam and Mary&Bob... the pics and description will help me later when I'm looking over the current state of affairs in my rig... and then I'll know better how to remove the pieces for Will, and how to dress up the area later on in my own.
Nice community, here............. Gary

[p.s. All of the younger grandchildren we have live next door, so we see them pretty regularly.... no need to keep the bunk and take them camping with us as well. ]
Old 11-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #15

New York
A couple Uhaul owners have had difficulty in removing the screws that hold the hinge to the trailer. They had to be broke off or drilled out.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #16

Iowa
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be better prepared for a challenging bit here and there. Big & busy day ahead, but I should get to the camper by late afternoon or early evening. Again--I appreciate your counsel.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #17

Iowa
Will...
Thought I posted at lunchtime--maybe hit the wrong key. Anyway, I looked at our trailer, and all the pieces are there, including the fiberglass bulge that the top-bunk hinge fastens to. Hopefully, pics below. [Tom Griebe PM'd me with some good advice for removing the bulge--I'll maybe get that done this weekend, before temps drop any more.]
Do you need any of the lower cushions, or just the top bunk and supports? We have some slender bolsters that fill in the gap between the lower cushion and the trailer wall when you swing the top bunk up, for instance. Our plans at this point are just to create two seats and a tiny dinette table where the lower bunk/bench seat is now... so we could probably part with those cushions, if you need them.
All for now,
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
14-1107-01a.jpg   14-1107-01b.jpg  

14-1107-01c.jpg  
Old 11-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #18

Minnesota
That would be perfect. I don't have any of it. So absolutely yes. I would be thrilled to have any of the cushions as well.
Let me know how you would like this to work out and I will be happy to go from there. Again thank you

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #19

Registry
Bunk removed,,,, and then the dinette transformation.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4479 (Large).JPG   IMG_0003 (Medium).JPG  

Old 11-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #20

Minnesota
Wow, that looks incredible. As i said, i have two children. They are wonderful little guys. The camper is just a little to tight for sleeping without some kind of accommodation.