1986 Casita Construction - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2023, 07:20 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Casita
Nh
1986 Casita Construction

I recently bought a gutted 16 ft Casita. Some of the guts cam with it, but it looks like some are missing. There are a couple of soft spots in the floor. I am contemplating replacing the subfloor and was wondering how it was put together. Just wondering if someone can verify what I think I see. It looks like the underside on the trailer frame is part of the bottom shell mold and the wood floor is installed from the inside and then covered with fiberglass. Am I right on this? Thanks in advance.
mopedmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 05:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
A previous owner of my 69 Casita had tried to beef the floor up with 1/4 inch plywood but this helped a little but springyness was still there so I took this up then cut out the, what I think was original OSB board under it to the fiberglass shell, useing a plunge cutter being careful not to cut the fiberglass. Replaced with marine grad plywood 3/4 inch.
no problems now.
oh I then covered this plywood with those interlocking foam mats you can by at Wal*Mart. a gray color not all those flashy colors.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 05:53 AM   #3

Nh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
A previous owner of my 69 Casita had tried to beef the floor up with 1/4 inch plywood but this helped a little but springyness was still there so I took this up then cut out the, what I think was original OSB board under it to the fiberglass shell, useing a plunge cutter being careful not to cut the fiberglass. Replaced with marine grad plywood 3/4 inch.
no problems now.
oh I then covered this plywood with those interlocking foam mats you can by at Wal*Mart. a gray color not all those flashy colors.
Gerry, what is a plunge cutter, is it the same as a router. An easy way to cut this floor would be nice.
Old 08-22-2023, 06:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopedmike View Post
Gerry, what is a plunge cutter, is it the same as a router. An easy way to cut this floor would be nice.
I first fond a spot where I could rip up a little hole in the floor just enough to see the fiberglass bottom... I don't think Plunge cutter is the proper name for this tool but it has a square blade that you can change and it vibrates back and forth... you sometimes see them in INFO-Mercials. I got mine at Harbor Freight. you can cut right into wood by just pushing it straight in but in this case I carefully put it on and angle with the tip just touching the fiberglass and then pushed it along cutting just the wood.
Old 08-22-2023, 06:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I don't think Plunge cutter is the proper name for this tool but it has a square blade that you can change and it vibrates back and forth.
Oscillating Multi-Tool
Attached Thumbnails
Multi.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 07:16 AM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
MI
You could use a regular router with a straight bit set just slightly less than the thickness of the wood. Rout across to waste out the wood.

Rout out a checkerboard shape and then use hammer and chisel to pry out chunks. Clean up with a belt sander.
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:40 AM   #7

Nh
Thanks Gerry, I will check them out.
Old 08-23-2023, 04:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oscillating Multi-Tool
Thanks Donna that's to tool I used and in my old age couldn't think of the name
Old 08-23-2023, 10:16 AM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
It is bad when my short term memory loss crosses the line of the long term memory loss.... There is a name for this, but I forget what it is.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:45 AM   #10

Nh
Memory loss nexus?
Old 08-23-2023, 04:00 PM   #11

I just have too many darn tools!!!
The thingy and the who dingy or the wacha-ma=call-it.
they all do the job!
Old 08-26-2023, 11:49 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Alabama
I think the casita wood is encased in fiberglass. Are you sure you arenít feeling loose linoleum?
StevenMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 12:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Scroll saw .
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 12:47 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
problem with using a router in this application, you won't be able to get closer to the outside wall than the radius of the router plate.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 03:46 PM   #15

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oscillating Multi-Tool

Everywhere I have dealt with the subject these are called vibro saws or oscillating saws. I can't image doing much in the way of repairs without one.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 05:08 PM   #16

Nh
John, hard to tell. It looks like it was coated with Rhino liner at some point. I may have to do some exploritory surgery at some point. I am just removing the last remnants of the interior at this point.
Old 08-26-2023, 05:11 PM   #17

Nh
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMaria View Post
I think the casita wood is encased in fiberglass. Are you sure you arenít feeling loose linoleum?
Not really sure, I think I am going to remove juast a little bit and see if I can tell what is going on with the floor. There is some truck bed liner type couting on the top layer
Old 08-26-2023, 05:13 PM   #18

Nh
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Everywhere I have dealt with the subject these are called vibro saws or oscillating saws. I can't image doing much in the way of repairs without one.
Guess what I just bought! Found a Craftsman version at a yard sale with all kinds of blades. Looks like a handy little tool.
Old 08-26-2023, 05:18 PM   #19

Nh
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMaria View Post
Steve, I am thinking from your description that it is not possible to replace all the floor without taking the shell off the trailer. I am puzzling over how I would approach removing the shell from the trailer if needed.
Old 08-26-2023, 05:59 PM   #20

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopedmike View Post
Guess what I just bought! Found a Craftsman version at a yard sale with all kinds of blades. Looks like a handy little tool.

One thing I did was take mine to a real hardware store and got a t handled allen wrench for changing blades. Basically it has the right sized allen wrench sticking down from the handle to make a T. Then another of the same size sticking out of one end of the handle. It makes changing the blades a lot faster and makes it work better once they are changed as it is properly tightened.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita