1986 Love Bug key replacement question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #1

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Love Bug
NY
1986 Love Bug key replacement question

Hello all! My wife and I just bought a 1986 Love Bug 13'. The only issue we're having is that it didn't come with any keys. It has the original paddle-handle design, and I haven't found any locksmiths that will work with older campers like this one. I've searched quite a few websites, but have had no luck. The whole unit looks like the style that the old Bolers used, but how can I tell if the whole unit would fit my extremely rare Love Bug?

Thanks in advance!
Dan Besaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Its not a Love Bug lock of course, its made by a manufacturer that makes locks for all brands. With these trailers, at most the brand made the exterior shell, the frame, and interior cabinetry. Appliances, locks, axles, were made by others. This makes finding replacements easier, as my replacement Trillium lock mentioned below did NOT come off a Trillium.

Remove the lock and look for a name brand and model. Then find a better locksmith to make you a key. An experienced locksmith should have no problems making a key. Much easier to take just the lock in to the locksmith than taking the trailer in.

Pretty much all RV door locks have a paddle handle design. There are a myriad of locks that fit that description. Hopefully it's not a Bargman L400 as those are rare, unique shape, and expensive to replace (out of production for decades). I keep spare L400 parts for my 1977 Trillium, just for when it happens....
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Besaw View Post
1986 Love Bug 13'. The only issue we're having is that it didn't come with any keys. It has the original paddle-handle design, ....
The whole unit looks like the style that the old Bolers used, but how can I tell if the whole unit would fit my extremely rare Love Bug?

Posting a picture would help. Given the history of the Love Bug, my guess is that it is the same handle that was used in early bolers. An 86 might be different though.

You could try a replacement handle from Scamp:
https://www.scamptrailers.com/produc...ardware/page/3
https://www.scamptrailers.com/produc...de-door-handle
https://www.scamptrailers.com/produc...-door-handle-2

or in Canada from here:
Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:50 PM   #4

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Love Bug
NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Its not a Love Bug lock of course, its made by a manufacturer that makes locks for all brands. With these trailers, at most the brand made the exterior shell, the frame, and interior cabinetry. Appliances, locks, axles, were made by others. This makes finding replacements easier, as my replacement Trillium lock mentioned below did NOT come off a Trillium.

Remove the lock and look for a name brand and model. Then find a better locksmith to make you a key. An experienced locksmith should have no problems making a key. Much easier to take just the lock in to the locksmith than taking the trailer in.

Pretty much all RV door locks have a paddle handle design. There are a myriad of locks that fit that description. Hopefully it's not a Bargman L400 as those are rare, unique shape, and expensive to replace (out of production for decades). I keep spare L400 parts for my 1977 Trillium, just for when it happens....
Thanks for the input! It actually is a Bargman L400, but after extensively searching the county I live in , I did find a locksmith who perfectly was able to make keys for it.. Only cost me $37
Dan Besaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
love bug