1987 cadet front window issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #1

Name: Katie
Trailer: Cadet
Nova Scotia
1987 cadet front window issue

So I just bought myself a Cadet camper, took it out for it's first overnight, and the front window cracked almost full across because I neglected to tighten all the locks before heading out.

I have a call into an autoglass shop for ideas on repair.

Beyond Gorilla Glue and clear Gorilla Tape, which is doing a bang up job of keeping it together while it sits in my yard, what else can I do, or who else can I call?

Thanks to anyone able to give me a little guidance.
Kat in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
I had a Captain trailer until a few years ago and bought parts from Poland at Gomarket. I just googled European camper windows and here is one site:

https://www.campervan-hq.com/products/double-pane-rv-window-550x700mm

There are probably others- I didnt poke around too much.

Alto made in Quebec is using European windows and they might give you some help, at least where to source them.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #3

Nova Scotia
Thanks so much. I'll try out that link and see where I get. I had seen other posts refering to the Quebec company, so that does give me another option as well.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #4

Name: Norm
Trailer: 1987 Cadet
Ontario
My Cadet window almost split too. My fix for now is:
1) Drill a small hole at the end of the crack, to keep the crack from spreading.
2) Drill little holes along both edges of the crack.
3) Use strong fishing line to sew up the crack.
4) Tape along both edges, then put sealing silicone over the seam and holes.
It ain't pretty, but it's solid.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200818_120415.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	136855
Sennema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:37 AM   #5

Nova Scotia
Netherlands supplier

So the crack got bigger and i stupidly wiped the inside of the window with alcohol to try and get rid of some sticky gunk ( yes very technical term ). Well, the long and short of it is I found a supplier of Predom parts in the Netherlands, emailed back and forth with him for over a week, and now I am waiting for my new window to arrive, as well.as new exterior handles and molding covers. Shipping was expensive, but hoping it was worth it.

I'll post pics.and results once I get it and.window is installed. 😀

Side note, has anyone noted a smell in the camper after accidentally wiping the window with alcohol? Ever since then, there has been a putrid smell and i have eliminated all.other possibilities. I've read that some plexi when it starts.to degrade will offgas a horid smell and im hoping this is my issue, especially with a 33 year old window that I have accidentally sped up the process.with a chemical reaction.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #6

Name: Nat
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Quebec
Hello Katie, I'am also looking for replacement Windows for My Predom Captain.
Could you share the name and address of the supplier in Netherlands?
Was it very expensive?
Koukoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #7

Nova Scotia
The window has arrived from the Netherlands

So I happened upon a predom parts supplier based in the Netherlands. Roy has helpful and took the time to email back and forth with me while I made sure everything was correct and would fit.

His website is https://www.predomonderdelen.nl/

He had never shipped a window before and we were both nervous about it. He dealt with FedEx International Shipping and it was the best/safest route for the product.

Basics of the transaction.
front window was 343 euros plus 25euro packaging and 216euro shipping.

I also purchased new exterior handles and molding covers for the window attachment which he threw in the box and didn't change the shipping cost.

Payment
International money transfer as he does not deal in Paypal. I never questioned it, just made sure that all the numbers made sense with a google search of international bank numbers and account numbers. I'll be honest, I was worried that I had just sent over $1000 into the wind and would not get anything for it. So not the case.

Roy was in constant contact once I sent the money, telling me when he received it, what he still needed for shipping and when the package was picked up.

The box was picked up in Europe on Friday and was delivered in Nova Scotia on Tuesday, but would have been Monday if I had prepayed the customs fee or been home at 915 in the morning.

Installation.
Because this window is double glazed, the inside is flat and the outside is the bubble shape of the original window with an airgap between the panes for insulation. It installed easily but the flat surface on the inside makes it not settle flat against the original window gasket. I shaved down the outer raised edge of the gasket with a knife and the window closes flush.

Issue,
The new locks and closure holds are different from the originals. The new latches fit perfectly but the closure mount that the latch twists into do not sit properly in the original gasket. I have had to use the original locking mechanisms and pins for the time being. I would suggest replacing the gasket with the new one that Roy supplies, as the newer latches look like they will provide a tight fit and not come undone during travels.

Yes, this was an expensive option for window replacement, but to me it was totally worth it.

The window looks awesome, so much so that I am considering purchasing the rear window replacement next year as that window is pitted from 33 years of use and age.

I did not want a fixed window or I would have done something locally. I love the look of the Cadet, and the windows are unique so I wanted to maintain its look.

In total, it was around $1200 delivered to my door. This was for Front window, 4 handles, 2 molding covers, packaging, shipping and duty on this end separately.

Click image for larger version

Name:	119513382_2419371825033260_1015901795117178785_n.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	137486

Name:	119514411_708703769743541_8439572243725482301_n.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	137487

Name:	119654700_3368251773263861_3648347760086878402_n.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	137488
Old 09-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #8

Name: Nat
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Quebec
Thanks a lot Katie for all these precious information. Your Cadet looks very great with his new window. I will consider e-mailing Roy to order window for my
Captain,
Thanks again!
Koukoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #9

Name: Yvonne
Trailer: K-Line Mark 1
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat in Canada View Post
So I happened upon a predom parts supplier based in the Netherlands. Roy has helpful and took the time to email back and forth with me while I made sure everything was correct and would fit.

His website is https://www.predomonderdelen.nl/

He had never shipped a window before and we were both nervous about it. He dealt with FedEx International Shipping and it was the best/safest route for the product.

Basics of the transaction.
front window was 343 euros plus 25euro packaging and 216euro shipping.

I also purchased new exterior handles and molding covers for the window attachment which he threw in the box and didn't change the shipping cost.

Payment
International money transfer as he does not deal in Paypal. I never questioned it, just made sure that all the numbers made sense with a google search of international bank numbers and account numbers. I'll be honest, I was worried that I had just sent over $1000 into the wind and would not get anything for it. So not the case.

Roy was in constant contact once I sent the money, telling me when he received it, what he still needed for shipping and when the package was picked up.

The box was picked up in Europe on Friday and was delivered in Nova Scotia on Tuesday, but would have been Monday if I had prepayed the customs fee or been home at 915 in the morning.

Installation.
Because this window is double glazed, the inside is flat and the outside is the bubble shape of the original window with an airgap between the panes for insulation. It installed easily but the flat surface on the inside makes it not settle flat against the original window gasket. I shaved down the outer raised edge of the gasket with a knife and the window closes flush.

Issue,
The new locks and closure holds are different from the originals. The new latches fit perfectly but the closure mount that the latch twists into do not sit properly in the original gasket. I have had to use the original locking mechanisms and pins for the time being. I would suggest replacing the gasket with the new one that Roy supplies, as the newer latches look like they will provide a tight fit and not come undone during travels.

Yes, this was an expensive option for window replacement, but to me it was totally worth it.

The window looks awesome, so much so that I am considering purchasing the rear window replacement next year as that window is pitted from 33 years of use and age.

I did not want a fixed window or I would have done something locally. I love the look of the Cadet, and the windows are unique so I wanted to maintain its look.

In total, it was around $1200 delivered to my door. This was for Front window, 4 handles, 2 molding covers, packaging, shipping and duty on this end separately.

Attachment 137486

Attachment 137487

Attachment 137488
Thank you so much for sharing this! I need the same window for my 87 Cadet. I'm worried about measuring it correctly. Would you mind sharing the size of the window you ordered? I really just want to confirm that I'm on the right track.
YSTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #10

Nova Scotia
front window measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSTP View Post
Thank you so much for sharing this! I need the same window for my 87 Cadet. I'm worried about measuring it correctly. Would you mind sharing the size of the window you ordered? I really just want to confirm that I'm on the right track.
Hey there,

This is what I sent him for measurements.

Window was +/- 126cm x 62cm with 54cm between the latches.
Window opening was +/- 118cm x 52cm

Hope this helps. I sent him pictures of my measurements as well just for reference. If the openings are original and not modified, it's easy.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:17 AM   #11

British Columbia
Thank you so much!!
Old 10-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #12

British Columbia
Can I ask you more about how you paid? I'm at the point where I want to transfer him $ but I don't understand how. Can you message me?

Tags
cadet