1989 Bigfoot 17B venting fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Name: Edwin
Trailer: B17 1989
Georgia
1989 Bigfoot 17B venting fridge

My new Norwood fridge N300X was not cooling when temps were above 85 outside. Removed it and took it to the point of purchase to have it serviced. Just got the call from the service dept saying that it works great. Since it works the diagnostic testing cost $132. That was for one hour of labor(seems awfully high rate for 1 hour). They are asking if there is proper ventilation.
My question is how does it vent? I do not see a roof vent only a louvered panel behind the fridge. We did notice the counter above the unit was getting hot when in use. When I installed the fridge, I did not connect to a vent.
Any assistance is appreciated.
Edwin and Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #2

Georgia
Vent problem found

Found my problem. The previous owner had a dorm fridge. For whatever reason, he covered the upper vent(louvered panel) with 1" foam board on the inside. They are now removed and hopefully that will solve the issue.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
When you reinstall the refrigerator, use this Dometic Ventilation Guide (linked from the Bryant RV Website) to adjust clearances. It really makes a difference.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:55 AM   #4

Georgia
Venting fridge

Jon, thanks for the link it was very informative. It shows a baffle between the upper and lower vents that I will need to add when re installing the fridge. This forum and it's members have really help me become familiar all the important concerns a new RV owner faces. When it comes to safety, I will take all the help offered here.

Tags
bigfoot, fridge