1998 Casita Freedom Deluxe & Generator for AC? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2023, 12:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Minit 13 ft
1998 Casita Freedom Deluxe & Generator for AC?

Greetings Eggsters,

I am planning on an extended summer trip with the Casita. There may be times when it will be pretty hot out, so I may want to use the AC unit; however, I will be pretty much boondocking the whole time. Any suggestions on a quiet generator that would power the AC unit? It's a LG, but I do not know how much power it requires.

Thank you!

Chris
Portland, OR
Sitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:38 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
A 2200 or 2400 VA inverter generator should be sufficient. The 3000s are too heavy. I prefer Honda or Yamaha, parts are always available, but plenty of folks swear by their favorite budget off brand.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:45 AM   #3

Name: Troy
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitah View Post
Greetings Eggsters,

I am planning on an extended summer trip with the Casita. There may be times when it will be pretty hot out, so I may want to use the AC unit; however, I will be pretty much boondocking the whole time. Any suggestions on a quiet generator that would power the AC unit? It's a LG, but I do not know how much power it requires.

Thank you!

Chris

Portland, OR

I bought a champion duel fuel inverter 2000 generator. Should be able to run your ac. Decently quiet and runs on propane.
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:58 AM   #4

So, is it enough to power your ac unit?
Old 01-21-2023, 12:13 PM   #5

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
depends on the AC unit. Saying you have an LG is about as useful as saying you have a Chevrolet. Is that a Vega or a Corvette ?

and, on propane, a '2000VA' generator is more like 1500 VA. I have an offbrand 2000VA generator here that will only output a sustained 1300 watts, while others like Hondas will output a sustained 1600 watts. Mine most definitely will not run the Coleman Mach on the roof of my Escape.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:32 PM   #6

Name: Troy
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:

Don't have my camper yet, but I plan on putting a soft start on the AC when I do get it, so the generator SHOULD be ok.

Per Champion:

When using a 20-pound propane tank, it produces 2000 starting watts and 1530 running watts and will run for up to 34 hours at 25% load.
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the information. Yeah, it's a small, window unit ac that's located at the front of the camper. I have decided to go with a Champion dual-fuel 2500. It's light and quiet and should do just fine for my needs. Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2023, 04:23 PM   #8

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Thanks for the information. Yeah, it's a small, window unit ac that's located at the front of the camper. I have decided to go with a Champion dual-fuel 2500. It's light and quiet and should do just fine for my needs. Thanks again!
what does the power plate say the maximum wattage or amperage is ?

On propane that generator, https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/
the specs say: Running: 1665 watts, 13.9 amps.

note the quoted 34 hours on 20 lbs of propane. thats at 1/4 load, so full load is likely less than half that.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:45 AM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Might see if you can find manufacturing specs. The value you will want is starting and/or inrush current. Then check this value for the proposed generator.

Remember to take good care of it. Change the oil at least as often as specified. I generally change each time I head out and expect to use it if it has been sitting for a while. OH and always start it a few days before leaving to make sure you will not have a problem when you get there.

One hint I have found is to allow it to warm up a few minutes before hitting it with a load like a generator. Like 5 minutes or so. And then I do have some load on it at all times. They say this is not needed, but I find it seems to make it work better. I generally have a fan also running in the camper and that will do it.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, generator