1999Scamp air -DEAL? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2003, 12:41 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
1999Scamp air -DEAL?

:rI am considering buying a 1999 13 foot scamp, sleeps 4 that has a factory built in side airconditioning system. I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever had any problem with theirs. This was about the last year you could buy them built into the side. The company said they were having some warrenty problems and getting parts so they changed to everything being the top unit. The trailer has always been stored inside. It has lots of options.( awning, screen door, extra shelf over bunk.frig.) They will sell it to me for $4,300. Does this sound like a good deal or will I be buying a headach?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 02:44 PM   #2

Some people like the built in air because of the lower profile.
The price depends of whether it has a bathroom/shower and if it's the CUST. WOOD model. You can check the NADA book price. It usually runs low for molded fiberglass, but not always. so much depend on the condition of the trailer. sounds like this one would be higher end cost because of the inside storage, if they have taken care of the rest of it just as well.

Old 08-11-2003, 06:10 PM   #3

lisa, call scamp and get a price booklet mailed to you. got mine today. prices range for $6,100.00 to $10,000.00, depending on options, delivery, etc. good luck.

Old 08-11-2003, 07:27 PM   #4

Lisa
Price seems good to me.:wave

Old 08-11-2003, 08:40 PM   #5

Side air

I also looked at a Scamp with the side mounted AC. I talked to Scamp about it and they told me that there was a problem with ventilation with the AC they were using. They would over heat. That is why they switched to the roof mount. I wouldn't let that effect your decision though as I installed a side AC in the Scamp that I bought (which originally had none) and with adequate ventilation they work great. I chose not to buy the scamp with the AC because it was older and looked worn out! It may take a little remodeling, but anyone with a handyman nature would be able to modifiy the AC ventilation to make it work effectively. That seems like a good price for a newer Scamp.

Old 08-12-2003, 12:01 PM   #6

You could also alleviate the inadequate ventilation problem just by installing a booster fan like is used in the refrigerators, to help pull vent air through the area. It just needs a little boost to make it work great!