!2/120 Volt Fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #1

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
!2/120 Volt Fridge

Has anyone put one of these in their trailer?

Dometic Coolmatic CR-1080U/F 2.8 Cu. Ft. 12/24V DC / 110/220V AC Refrigerator / Freezer With Flush Mount Frame - Boat and RV Accessories

It says it uses 3.3 amps @ 12 volts when running and it runs 40% of the time if the temp is 86 degrees F.

I am trying to keep the gas plumbing to a minimum in my trailer and am looking at 12/120 volt fridges.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Alex, although I have not installed this particular refrigerator, I have installed a NOVAKOOL Danfos 12 volt only refrigerator in our 13' Scamp, using a single 100 watt Renogy solar panel hooked to a single group 27 battery, with great results.
I have also installed a 12 volt only Truckfridge (I think that this may be a rebadged Engel) Danfos refrigerator, using a single 160 watt Renogy solar panel and a group D AGM battery. I don't think I will ever go back to using an absorption style refrigerator again. I do have a 2000 watt Yamaha generator incase of several rainey days, or shadey campsites. I have been looking into wind generators for RVs just for fun, but I don't think I would go that route. Just as a side note, the people at NOVAKOOL encourages extra insulation around the refrigerator where ever possible, and I had used a combination of ridged styrofoam and reflectix.
Best of luck with your project.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:08 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
In terms of operation a compressor fridge is superior to an absorption in performance but 3.3 amps x 40% x 24 hrs (32 amp hrs) is a lot of charging. If you have camped here in New England you know that the public campgrounds are all in the woods so solar is limited and people don't want to hear your generator, hence quiet hours. Of course private campgrounds with hookups are always available. Or with a big enough battery you could probably go several days with out charging. For me, my Dometic 2193 absobtion fridge runs forever on one tank of propane and no battery drain at all making it the better choice for where I camp. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Has anyone put one of these in their trailer?

Dometic Coolmatic CR-1080U/F 2.8 Cu. Ft. 12/24V DC / 110/220V AC Refrigerator / Freezer With Flush Mount Frame - Boat and RV Accessories

It says it uses 3.3 amps @ 12 volts when running and it runs 40% of the time if the temp is 86 degrees F.

I am trying to keep the gas plumbing to a minimum in my trailer and am looking at 12/120 volt fridges.
Gas fridge best idea. If you have propane already then use it. Having another connection is not a problem and we can run 2 years on our propane tank on the fridge. Solar may not work all the time, hence trees, clouds etc. 12V doesn't always keep them real cold. We use 12V when driving if not real hot and propane when stopped. It is hard on an alternator to use the 12V all the time so you need a heavy duty alternator. Think of future owners. It is easier to sell a trailer properly equipped.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:08 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Jann, you are absolutely correct about running an absorbsion refrigerator on 12 volts, but the original poster was talking about a 12 volt Danfoss compressor refrigerator.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #6

Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Engel

I love my two engels, very quiet, use very little battery draw
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge