2 burner stove top cover suggestions (U-Haul) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
2 burner stove top cover suggestions (U-Haul)

Dear Fiberglass RV friends,
I am the proud owner of a 1984 U-Haul that I plan to get to know over the winter and then take out starting next spring. I need to learn to a lot of skills (like parking and lining up over the tow jack) before then. I have a small amount of modifications that I intend to do and look forward to spreading them out over the next few months.

I bought a hand pump for the sink, a small dish rack, a porta potty that tucks under the front seat, and now I am looking for suggestions for a stove top cover for my 2 burner stove.

I noticed after I drove the trailer home that the things that sit over the burners flew off during the drive. What do people do about that? Do you tuck them away in the over head bin? Do you use a stove topper of some kind? If so, do you have suggestions of ones that did or did not work for you?

Many thanks,
Sharon D
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Try these guys. I have purchased many things from them at good prices.
Camco Universal RV Stove Top Cover Stainless Steel - $39.00
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #3

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Sharon,

There should be clips that hold those on. I will snap a pic of the clips on mine here in a little while.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Sharon, There should be clips that hold those on. I will snap a pic of the clips on mine here in a little while.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-514983720.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	66249

Name:	image-3731587908.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	66250

Here are the clips on mine. While towing they do not move around. Possibly your clips are there under the stove top. That's where I found mine. Took me a little while it get them figured out, but once I did they work great.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I was missing a couple of the clips, used some small wire to hold the grates on, stove has since been removed. Before we removed the stove I had made a cover by putting sides on the bottom of a cutting board. Also see Chris' thread about the vent for another thing to check on.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #6

Massachusetts
Registry
Chris,
Thank you for the information and picture of the clips. I see where they would go, so I'll look and see if they are tucked away some place. That would make all the difference in the world, but Bob is right it would be easy enough to make a new set.

Mike installed a new vent when he bought the U-Haul, so I think it works well, but I will check on that as well.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
LOL, I think Mike gave me his stove clips, or maybe it was some extras he had. We traded some stuff between us as we are only 25 miles apart. I never actually saw his Uhaul. Today we are visiting our daughter in CT, a friend of hers stopped by, and while discussing future camping plans she mentioned an acquaintance has a Uhaul. Not a member here she thinks.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
This is my approach to the stove top cover situation.

Since I have the bed set up full time, I don’t have a dining table. Standing while eating works only so long. Time for a solution. I have designed a cutting board to serve triple duty: stove top cover, food prep counter, and dining table. Pics are attached.

I bought a wooden cutting board from that official Scamp supplier store; Walmart. It is about 21" long x 15" wide. I sealed it with food safe salad bowl finish from a woodworkers store. (Much like a clear stain).

I then cut four, 2" long, 1"diameter dowels and used clear silicone to attach them to the bottom corners of the board (15 ¼" apart and 11.5" deep). I positioned them so that the right rear side dowel would go between the grates and the other dowels extending beyond the stove, resting on the counter top keep the board from shifting when traveling. I put a dab of silicone under each dowel leg to help keep it from shifting.

I then drilled two holes ½’ deep for two 10 penny (10d) nails 1.5" long with heads removed, and pressed them in the holes at one end of the board. These pins are the anchors for the table to attach to the top of the frig.
I also drilled and put in a nail in the center of the board at the other end that holds the support leg. I then drilled two holes in top of frig to correspond with the pins in the board.

When finished prepping and cooking the meal, be sure the frig door is locked shut with the little knob. I then face the end of the board with the two pins towards the frig and drop them into the holes at the top of the frig. At the other end of the table, I place a support leg placing the end over the single pin to keep it in place.

The table is 28.5 inches high so just about the same as a regular table and can be used from either left side with a chair pulled up to it, or while sitting on the front couch.

Bone appetite!
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting Board - stove cover.jpg   Cutting board - Food Prep.jpg  

Dowels.jpg   Metal pins in bottom of board.jpg  

Metal pins in bottom of board for attachment to refrigerator.jpg   Metal Pins on other end of board to hold support leg.jpg  

Holes in top of refrigerator doorfor table pins.jpg   Table in position with support leg.jpg  

Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #9

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
The stove cover/table looks very nice.Good thinking I like it when things can do double duty.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Scamper Jim, Most excellent.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
The stove cover/table looks very nice.Good thinking I like it when things can do double duty.
There's a combination stove top cover/cutting board/serving tray toward the bottom of this page:

Photo-Gallery

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #12

Massachusetts
Registry
Ooh, lots of smart solutions. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #13

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario

Name:	Aug  2012 025.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	66313

Name:	Aug  2012 027.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	66314

Name:	Aug  2012 029.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	66315

Name:	Aug  2012 031.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	66316

To keep plate grates in place I installed small round magnets (2 under each grate) Had to grind a bit off each foot to keep level.
Built a stove cover to go over stove top, installed a couple if inserted magnets here also on the inside sides to hold down.
Have not had any problems with grates jumping off since.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #14

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Home brew craftmanship!

Wow, great innovations, thanks for sharing!

Tags
u-haul