2 Propane tank to 1 conversion. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 06:24 AM   #21

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Couple things Amy. Can't say I ever remember having to fill a tank while camping, that's done before I leave. LP is almost as easy to find as gasoline and the tank can be filled without removing it from the TT just like all motor homes do. You mention your TW, kind of wondering where you plan to mount any extra battery(s) to run the fridge and heater. To make it real easy, if you always camp with hookups, just take the tanks off and plug in to 110v, done. Every one floats their boat different .
Lithium battery is half the weigh of the battery that's already on there plus it lasts almost twice as much so swapping 1 battery to 2 lithium battery makes no difference in weigh minus the 2 tanks, I can get the perfect tongue weigh for my rig. The generator always stays inside it's the best thing because it's not fixed to a wall so you can move it anywhere and plug in your phones, computer while you're in bed, bring it outside and cook outside if you don't want to camp fire etc. very versatile

That's the thing, I want to do more boondocking than the restricted RV parks. My dog loves to run around without leash and she can do that. She's very well trained and doesn't need a leash. Also it's easier to take outside showers when there are no civilians around We converted a garden spray to a shower and just boil water on the stove. Induction cooktops only takes a few minutes to boil and just add water to the boiling water and presto! Perfect HOT showers, and I mean HOT! It's such a freeing experience taking showers outside in the sun once you do it you'd get addicted lol! Anyway that's the whole concept of not being restricted and go freely where ever we want and not have to worry about tanks etc. We can go for months if we wanted to with solar/battery. I only want to do RV parks when water is low, we'll fill the tank, charge the batteries to full and off we go!

It's a mental thing, we seriously become more ALIVE when we boondock. It's such a freeing feeling and my body feels it. My mental and physical health improved drastically
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:29 AM   #22

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
How are you going to keep the solar generator charged? If you are just going out for a few days, I can see it working; but how about a 2 week or longer stay?

That's the problem I'm trying to figure out. Not enough roof space for all the needed solar panels and putting out several portable panels is worse than filling a propane tank for me.

You could go with a more efficient refrigerator, but it will be difficult to find one that fits in the same space. I'm thinking about putting one in my van (Tow vehicle).
If you are going to boondock and rely on your batteries you will HAVE to be able to charge it with your TV. You charge it while you're driving to your destination and when you're there use solar. JUST solar would be too stressful the same as the tanks worrying about little things all the time
Old 06-12-2018, 06:32 AM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Boondocking without propane just removes one very useful fuel source option. I wouldn't do it.

As far as the trouble filling a propane tank, how often are you doing it? I've done multiple month long trips without filling a tank. The inconvenience you describe in dealing with propane is much more than I experience. I turn the tank on when I leave on a trip, I turn it off when I get home. One second task.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:36 AM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
When I removed the dual tank platform from the top of the tongue of my Scamp I discovered the single bottle support framing welded underneath the frame in just the right location. Thanks Scamp!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #25

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
"We use luggable loo with cat litter with bags and just throw it out best thing ever! You won't ever want to use those square porta potties once you use the luggable loo it's easy, no mess, no fuss just all around the best thing we purchased for the camper"

Where do you just throw something like that out. ? I have seen someone carrying one of those loo,s around, seems like she was struggling going up a hill where the restrooms were. Seems like a lot of hassle to go through, to me anyway.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #26

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Boondocking without propane just removes one very useful fuel source option. I wouldn't do it.

As far as the trouble filling a propane tank, how often are you doing it? I've done multiple month long trips without filling a tank. The inconvenience you describe in dealing with propane is much more than I experience. I turn the tank on when I leave on a trip, I turn it off when I get home. One second task.
EXACTLY!! I really don't use the propane AT ALL so why not get rid of it?

Right now I use it ONLY for the fridge but with a scamp you have to go outside to turn it off and on. It's a pain in the butthole if you ask me especially if it's raining.
And you can't leave it on while driving.
Also the furnace in the scamps are LOUD the AC is LOUD too. I'm very sensitive to noise so it's more beneficial for me all around to get rid of everything LOUD lol
Old 06-12-2018, 07:07 AM   #27

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
When I removed the dual tank platform from the top of the tongue of my Scamp I discovered the single bottle support framing welded underneath the frame in just the right location. Thanks Scamp!
OHHHH! Thank you!! I'll have to take that plate thing off first and see what I can do, great information thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #28

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
"We use luggable loo with cat litter with bags and just throw it out best thing ever! You won't ever want to use those square porta potties once you use the luggable loo it's easy, no mess, no fuss just all around the best thing we purchased for the camper"

Where do you just throw something like that out. ? I have seen someone carrying one of those loo,s around, seems like she was struggling going up a hill where the restrooms were. Seems like a lot of hassle to go through, to me anyway.
No, you don't FILL it! That woman is crazy if she fills it!!
What do you do with your dog poop baggies?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #29

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
No dogs, just me and the wife, but I really enjoy sitting on my porcelain SeaLand 511 toilet. What a pleasure. It's just like being at home. I couldn't imagine having to crap in a plastic bucket, and then worse yet, have to smell it all the time...Yuk! Like camping in a State Park outhouse.

And when I'm done, I just hook a hose to my black tank flusher and I never have to deal with waste, I just wash it down the dump line hookup. I'm certainly not in favor of having to lug a 5 gallon "can-o-crap" anywhere to dump it.

Also not a big user of propane, but I'm not about to give up the option if I should need it, so I "downsized" to two 2 1/2 Gal. tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
casita 012.JPG   Keder Rail1.JPG  

BWFLUSH2.JPG   BWFLUSH1.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post
The tongue weigh and I have a 1100w lithium battery generator which pretty much can do everything except fridge and heat (with the inverter from the engine I can still manage) But If I add more batteries with solar I can heat and fridge with no problems what so ever)
Can run the fridge 24/7 WHILE driving THIS is gold IMHO.

Also most important, nobody got time to fill tanks while camping!

I don't have the shower hookup so don't need all the water heating etc.
Almost every truck stop has propane with refilling by the gallon.
If you have time to buy gas for your TV you have time to fill your propane.
One tank is plenty for us and has proven so for many years, even with propane stove, water heater with shower, and furnace.
It has proven enough even on our February trips to Florida with several boondocking nights along the way.
A stock Scamp13 with one tank has the tank simply sitting on the angle iron crossmembers with vertical clamps($5 each) holding the tank which are simply bolted down ( one 1/4" hole on each side).
I bought a belly clamp style tank holder which I found more convenient, but the stock one works just fine.
Switching to a single regulator($32) is a small and inexpensive matter, and you may be able to sell your doubles or store the kit complete for future use.

Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0069.JPG   WB40023.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #31

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
No dogs, just me and the wife, but I really enjoy sitting on my porcelain SeaLand 511 toilet. What a pleasure. It's just like being at home. I couldn't imagine having to crap in a plastic bucket, and then worse yet, have to smell it all the time...Yuk! Like camping in a State Park outhouse.

And when I'm done, I just hook a hose to my black tank flusher and I never have to deal with waste, I just wash it down the dump line hookup. I'm certainly not in favor of having to lug a 5 gallon "can-o-crap" anywhere to dump it.

Also not a big user of propane, but I'm not about to give up the option if I should need it, so I "downsized" to two 2 1/2 Gal. tanks.
Hmm...I think people are confusing this luggable loo thing...
It NEVER smells because you bag it up right there and toss it in the trash, just the same as you pick up your dogs poop and trash it right there in the garbage can. If there is no trash can nearby just double knot it and you wont smell anything at all for days. The pee or poop NEVER touches the bucket, it's lined with bags and you just tie it and poof!
Yeah...you don't keep pooping over poop after poop after poop that's just gross...so that's why I said that woman carrying 5 gallons of poop and pee is CRAZY. You get a nice clean slate every time you do your thing, that woman is doing it ALL wrong....

This is where people's difference come out, I don't mind at all sitting on the loo vs having to dump the black water, flush it, then having to find a place to dump it etc etc. The loo outweighs ALL of that for me. And yes if you need your porcelain seats that's why you even have the hookup in the first place
I made sure from the start that I don't want the black tanks and don't want the shower hookups. If I did I would have purchased a 16 instead with all the amenities.

I'm not into the RV parks, sure once in a while it's nice, some places have pools so my kids can swim but if you boondock right by the water that's your whole own pool! PLUS the dog can swim with us too!! You're also parked right by other people and my dog has to be leashed every single second when she's out. It's just too stressful for us and the dog. We just go in for water and charge up the battery throw away some trash don't get me wrong I am VERY grateful for RV parks, if there wasn't any I'd have to come home and not be able to do cross country
Old 06-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #32

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Almost every truck stop has propane with refilling by the gallon.
If you have time to buy gas for your TV you have time to fill your propane.
One tank is plenty for us and has proven so for many years, even with propane stove, water heater with shower, and furnace.
It has proven enough even on our February trips to Florida with several boondocking nights along the way.
A stock Scamp13 with one tank has the tank simply sitting on the angle iron crossmembers with vertical clamps($5 each) holding the tank which are simply bolted down ( one 1/4" hole on each side).
I bought a belly clamp style tank holder which I found more convenient, but the stock one works just fine.
Switching to a single regulator($32) is a small and inexpensive matter, and you may be able to sell your doubles or store the kit complete for future use.

Oh cool I like that bent bar thing to keep it in place, I'll have to check that out thanks!

BTW I never filled it at gas stations but around here you can't fill it hooked up to the RV they won't fill it up you have to take it off. Maybe it's just Maine but yeah aint got time for that lol!!
Old 06-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #33

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Oh cool I like that bent bar thing to keep it in place, I'll have to check that out thanks!

BTW I never filled it at gas stations but around here you can't fill it hooked up to the RV they won't fill it up you have to take it off. Maybe it's just Maine but yeah aint got time for that lol!!
the large RVs (class A, C stuff) have big horizontal propane tanks mounted under the RV, these can't easily be removed, they are filled in place
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #34

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the large RVs (class A, C stuff) have big horizontal propane tanks mounted under the RV, these can't easily be removed, they are filled in place
Then, there is probably a place that can fill it without taking it off I just don't know where. It's all good, I'm pretty sure this 1 tank will last the whole summer anyway and if it runs out I'll take it to a truck stop like the other people suggested
Old 06-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
When I alternated between towing with my Dodge Dakota and Subaru Outback, one of the steps to meet the 200 lb Subaru tongue weight limit was to remove the second tank and tray to save weight. I fabricated 2 tank hold downs using threaded rods bent at the top and tightened the tank down on the two angle iron pieces. I kept the dual regulator and just plugged the unused end with the correct size plumbing plug. My 16' Scamp has 4 tabs on the angle irons underneath the tray that help keep the tank centered when used without the tray.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #36

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
I'm actually trying to get rid of propane altogether. I'm not there yet with the solar/battery hookup but once I have it all in place bye bye propane!
If your plan is to get rid of the propane all together then just live with the two tank system for now. Otherwise you are spending money to make a change that is itself only going to be temporary. I am absolutely certain you can find much better uses of your time and money. For instance spend it on the items you need to get ready for no propane, or put more fuel in your car and take a longer trip.

You don't have to fill both of the tanks, it is OK if you leave one of them empty.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:02 AM   #37

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
When I alternated between towing with my Dodge Dakota and Subaru Outback, one of the steps to meet the 200 lb Subaru tongue weight limit was to remove the second tank and tray to save weight. I fabricated 2 tank hold downs using threaded rods bent at the top and tightened the tank down on the two angle iron pieces. I kept the dual regulator and just plugged the unused end with the correct size plumbing plug. My 16' Scamp has 4 tabs on the angle irons underneath the tray that help keep the tank centered when used without the tray.
Thank you! I'll definitely take the tray off and see what's under there I haven't been able to get to it yet.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:05 AM   #38

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If your plan is to get rid of the propane all together then just live with the two tank system for now. Otherwise you are spending money to make a change that is itself only going to be temporary. I am absolutely certain you can find much better uses of your time and money. For instance spend it on the items you need to get ready for no propane, or put more fuel in your car and take a longer trip.

You don't have to fill both of the tanks, it is OK if you leave one of them empty.
If my memory was correct I think I was pushing it maybe even over 200lbs even without the second tank. I'll have to weigh it again.

My question is, can I just have the 2 setup with just 1 tank on? And just take the second tank off and leave it empty? Does that affect the towing because 1 side is heavier than the other?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #39

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Most automatic switch-over propane regulators are designed so that, when the first tank empties, it automatically shifts over to the full second tank. When it shifts over, the empty tank can be removed for refilling without having to shut off the running tank and any need to disrupt your ability to continue to use your other propane tank. So, you should be able to remove one tank without any problems. I would recommend inserting a threaded blank cap in the unused orifice on the regulator just to be double safe in case of an internal failure of the regulator, (which have a well documented history of being cheaply made Chinese junk and often need to be replaced due to failure for several reasons,) and also to keep out road dirt, insects and other debris.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #40

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Most automatic switch-over propane regulators are designed so that, when the first tank empties, it automatically shifts over to the full second tank. When it shifts over, the empty tank can be removed for refilling without having to shut off the running tank and any need to disrupt your ability to continue to use your other propane tank. So, you should be able to remove one tank without any problems. I would recommend inserting a threaded blank cap in the unused orifice on the regulator just to be double safe in case of an internal failure of the regulator, (which have a well documented history of being cheaply made Chinese junk and often need to be replaced due to failure for several reasons,) and also to keep out road dirt, insects and other debris.
I understand I can cap it off but when I tow it because the weigh is lopsided will it effect anything while towing? Should I put a bucket on the other side with tools like tractors1 suggested? Or does it not make any difference in towing it like that?

Tags
propane