2 Propane tank to 1 conversion. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #41

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I believe the group has made it abundantly clear that many prefer twin tanks, so I won't beat a dead horse or Amy. You all know they sell trailers with just one tank, right? I'm sure everyone has your best interests at heart, and even if I had your cool batteries, ....well never mind.

I would look for the supporting tray in a single tank version at a dealer with some old stick builts ready to become organ donors. But I would also price new ones on-line, as a used one may require sanding and paint.

Good luck, Amy
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #42

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I doubt that you will notice any difference in towing/handling whether you have one tank or two tanks installed. The weight in the propane tank bracket is pretty well set up transverse to the "A" frame on the front of the trailer. You'd probably have more of a weight differential just based on how and where they installed the major appliances and tanks in your trailer than this would ever amount to.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #43

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I doubt that you will notice any difference in towing/handling whether you have one tank or two tanks installed. The weight in the propane tank bracket is pretty well set up transverse to the "A" frame on the front of the trailer. You'd probably have more of a weight differential just based on how and where they installed the major appliances and tanks in your trailer than this would ever amount to.
Ok, thank you! I will take the tray off and see if I can just put the single tank there if not I will just set it up as 2 tanks and leave the other one off
Thanks!
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #44

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I believe the group has made it abundantly clear that many prefer twin tanks, so I won't beat a dead horse or Amy. You all know they sell trailers with just one tank, right? I'm sure everyone has your best interests at heart, and even if I had your cool batteries, ....well never mind.

I would look for the supporting tray in a single tank version at a dealer with some old stick builts ready to become organ donors. But I would also price new ones on-line, as a used one may require sanding and paint.

Good luck, Amy
I am sure if I have a shower hookup I probably do need 2 tanks, but at this moment I only use it for a fridge. So even this huge propane tank (one) is way too much for me. I didn't realize you can fill it at truck stops either so if that's the case I can even go without filling it all the way just half every time and won't need to worry about looking for places to fill it up

Thank you all for replying! I'll see what I can do this weekend and convert it accordingly!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #45

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Great answer, Tom. One tank or two- depends on how you use propane. One tank lasts us about two seasons. A second would be 45 pounds of useless weight. We have plenty of tongue weight with one tank.

I'm actually thinking about Casita Greg's set-up, but keeping the current single-tank regulator. One small tank connected to the trailer to fuel the furnace and the other removed at camp to fuel our outdoor cooking appliances. They're just so doggone expensive!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #46

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm actually thinking about Casita Greg's set-up, but keeping a single-tank regulator. One small tank to fuel the trailer and the other to fuel our outdoor cooking appliances. They're just so expensive!
On that issue I fully agree. They charge more than double for those half-sized 2.5 gallon tanks as they do for the common 5 gallon ones. I guess it's because they sell a lot more of the 5 gallon variety than the half-sized ones. But, having bit the bullet on their cost, I really do have to say that they are great in reducing the weight. I am not a big user of propane, (I filled these tanks 3 years ago and I still have yet to turn them on for anything other than for a system function check.) Since we usually camp with full hook-ups, I can count the times on one hand (with fingers left over,) in the 10 years that I have had the trailer, that I have "boondocked", but I still wanted to keep the ability to use it just in case.

As to outside cooking, which for us, is 99% of our cooking, I bring along a 5 gallon lightweight composite tank that I just set up out near our portable Camp Chef stove by the picnic table.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #47

ME
Can somebody verify if this is what I am suppose to get to make it into 1 tank? A single stage regulator?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59013-S...pane+regulator

Can I also use this with it?

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Indi...pane+regulator

Or are all these for barbecue tanks? I have no idea what the difference is...
this is why I shouldn't mess with propane... :P
Old 06-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #48

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I would get something more like this, with an integrated tank attachment and hose.
https://www.amazon.com/DozyAnt-Unive...dp/B01LW2YZMJ/
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #49

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I would get something more like this, with an integrated tank attachment and hose.
Ok, wonderful, thank you! ❤️
Old 06-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #50

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post
Ok, wonderful, thank you! ❤️
Check a little further.. I cant find any specs on the regulator, and it appears to be single stage... unless I missed something in the thread, I have questions about this recommendation. And don't bother reading the Q&A section on Amazon.. those people are mostly clueless on this topic.

Read this: https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-propane-regulator/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #51

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Switching to a single regulator($32) is a small and inexpensive matter, and you may be able to sell your doubles or store the kit complete for future use......

I could not help but notice that the regulator in this photo is mounted with the vent horizontal.

When my regulator, which was mounted the same way, failed (after less than 1/5th of its expected lifetime), I read the instructions and found this is wrong. Water needs to be able to drain out, or a cover is needed (or both).

Perhaps OP should bit the bullet and go to a RV shop for this mod (or just leave one tank empty). Propane is something you don't want to do wrong (even if Evelands does mount the reg improperly sometimes).
Old 06-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #52

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

I could not help but notice that the regulator in this photo is mounted with the vent horizontal.

When my regulator, which was mounted the same way, failed (after less than 1/5th of its expected lifetime), I read the instructions and found this is wrong. Water needs to be able to drain out, or a cover is needed (or both).

Perhaps OP should bit the bullet and go to a RV shop for this mod (or just leave one tank empty). Propane is something you don't want to do wrong (even if Evelands does mount the reg improperly sometimes).

Haaa...now you're scaring me...

Ok, I'll just leave it as is and take out the 1 propane. It'll only be for this summer anyway
Old 06-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #53

North Carolina
Thumbs up

Quote:

Ok, I'll just leave it as is and take out the 1 propane. It'll only be for this summer anyway
There is something to be said for:

Kiss.... Keep It Simple Sally!

PS, I just noticed the blog I linked to was written by another Amy. Funny coincidence.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #54

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
There is something to be said for:

Kiss.... Keep It Simple Sally!
Hahaha!! Will do!

I think I'll buy a cover though that article says to buy it ASAP and it's only $25 on Amazon! Thank you!
Old 06-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #55

Mid Left Coast
Quote:

I would unscrew the hose to the 'missing' tank, and put a plug in, using propane friendly sealing tape (usually yellow, instead of the white teflon tape used for water connections).
Old 06-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #56

ME
Quote:
I would unscrew the hose to the 'missing' tank, and put a plug in, using propane friendly sealing tape (usually yellow, instead of the white teflon tape used for water connections).
Ok, this

https://www.amazon.com/Harvey-017065...ow+teflon+tape

and this?

https://www.amazon.com/DozyAnt-Refil...ds=propane+cap
Old 06-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #57

North Carolina
Quote:

I think I'll buy a cover though that article says to buy it ASAP and it's only $25 on Amazon! Thank you!
I have my doubts that a cover is critical as long as the vent faces down (within 45 degrees). But it sure wont hurt.

But $25 is way high.

Just get one that fits, or can be returned if by chance it does not.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #58

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Some may know better, but I agree with the idea of leaving the empty tank there for this summer, or removing it and plug or cap the hose. K.I.S.S.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #59

Mid Left Coast
yes on the tape, you can get that at any hardware store, no on the cap, that one is for a 1 lb 'coleman' style propane bottle such as are used on camp stoves.

the hose fitting coming out of the change-over valve is /probably/ 3/8" NPT, if it is, then use something like this... https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Meta.../dp/B0045LRZP8

again, I would get this at a local 'real' hardware store (avoid the big box home depot kinda places).
Old 06-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #60

ME
Quote:
yes on the tape, you can get that at any hardware store, no on the cap, that one is for a 1 lb 'coleman' style propane bottle such as are used on camp stoves.

the hose fitting coming out of the change-over valve is /probably/ 3/8" NPT, if it is, then use something like this... https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Meta.../dp/B0045LRZP8

again, I would get this at a local 'real' hardware store (avoid the big box home depot kinda places).
Ok!

Thank you so much everybody, so very nice of you all, it helped tremendously! I can now enjoy my camping this summer without any worries

Tags
propane