2001 Burro Construction Questions - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

Name: Wade
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
2001 Burro Construction Questions

Hi I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how these are constructed. There seems to be an exterior fiberglass shell and a two piece interior fiberglass structure that makes up the walls furniture etc.. Is the interior fiberglass furniture structural? Could the interior fiberglass structures be removed (in case it was in terrible condition) and a custom interior be framed in? If anyone is knowledgeable I would love to hear from you. Thank you.

Wade R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
The Burro is essentially two fiberglass halves connected by a sealed seam. This sits on the trailer frame. The interior is another two fiberglass shells that make up the built-in cabinet furniture and this provides solid structural stability to the entire shell. Cutting it up would be a disaster.

But remember, it's all fiberglass so it can be repaired, just like a hole in the hull of a boat can be repaired.

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
The Burro is essentially two fiberglass halves connected by a sealed seam. This sits on the trailer frame. The interior is another two fiberglass shells that make up the built-in cabinet furniture and this provides solid structural stability to the entire shell. Cutting it up would be a disaster.

But remember, it's all fiberglass so it can be repaired, just like a hole in the hull of a boat can be repaired.
Thank you! That's kinda what I suspected. My girlfriend and I are looking for a fiberglass travel trailer for tiny home living and we would like the option to customize the interior to fit our needs. I guess a burro is kinda off the table then since the interior is more set in stone than something like a scamp or casita.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
The Scamp and casita also use the interior cabinetry and closets for support as they are only single shell so you would have to be careful with them also.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:14 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
The Scamp and casita also use the interior cabinetry and closets for support as they are only single shell so you would have to be careful with them also.
Yes that's true. The interior would need to be framed in a way that would support the shell. I would like to frame in the interior the way the guy in this thread has: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ion-81235.html

The burro outer shell by contrast seems much thinner and is designed with the secondary internal fiberglass shell in mind, rather than just cabinetry for support.

Tags
burro