2003 Bigfoot 15B17CB roof damage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Friends,
The barn partially collaped due to snow load. The BF has smashed vents (frig,water system) and AC cover. There was a fair amount of weight on the AC unit which deflected the roof enough so the bathroom door would not clear the AC unit inside by 1/4-3/8 inch. Otherwise body scrapes and gouges, but not too many. The AC unit itself may also be suspect.
After the building was stabilized, roof raised and the BF removed the roof "oil canned" back to near contour. The bath door just clears the AC but touchs it about 3/4 of the way through its swing, although it will swing through to the wall.
For any of you with a similar vintage BF with center bath my question is: How much does the bath door clear the AC unit by at the start of its swing?
The trailer goes to the RV for assessment and insurance estimate tomorrow and I would like to tell them what it was like before being damaged.
Hard to believe the roof could return to form so well considering how ridgid it seems.
Thanks in advance.
Tony and Darlene
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Tony and Darlene;
My 1993 15B17CB has an aftermarket Dometic BriskAire 13.5K BTU AC.
The door does not clear it all the way. It hits the vent about 2/3 of the way - but the door opens enough to use it fine. I bought it that way several years ago and, from the outside, the roof looks normal, although the installation of the AC is a bit crooked.
I think that you are lucky and probably don't need to do anything, unless there are visible cracks on the outside.
However, I would really have it checked out since it could have had water entry into the ceiling space and/or could be a source of leaks.
Good luck.
Mike
Quote:
Friends,
The barn partially collaped due to snow load. The BF has smashed vents (frig,water system) and AC cover. There was a fair amount of weight on the AC unit which deflected the roof enough so the bathroom door would not clear the AC unit inside by 1/4-3/8 inch. Otherwise body scrapes and gouges, but not too many. The AC unit itself may also be suspect.
After the building was stabilized, roof raised and the BF removed the roof "oil canned" back to near contour. The bath door just clears the AC but touchs it about 3/4 of the way through its swing, although it will swing through to the wall.
For any of you with a similar vintage BF with center bath my question is: How much does the bath door clear the AC unit by at the start of its swing?
The trailer goes to the RV for assessment and insurance estimate tomorrow and I would like to tell them what it was like before being damaged.
Hard to believe the roof could return to form so well considering now ridgid it seems.
Thanks in advance.
Tony and Darlene
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
I can't help on the clearance as my 17' does not have an AC unit. However with any damage to the roof you would want to see if the insulation between the outside fiberglass and inside paneling has been compromised in anyway. Even though the outside has 'popped' back out it still may not be structurally sound.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
I can't help on the clearance as my 17' does not have an AC unit. However with any damage to the roof you would want to see if the insulation between the outside fiberglass and inside paneling has been compromised in anyway. Even though the outside has 'popped' back out it still may not be structurally sound.
I agree. In my opinion it is doubtful that this rigid foam/fiberglass structure is not compromised. The Bigfoot foam/fiberglass structure supporting heavy AC without any wood braces is weak from the get go. My new 2008 Bigfoot 21RB, with the factory installed AC, did not have any wood supports and the rigid foam around the AC was smashed. Tightening AC mounting screws to the specified torque just further collapsed the foam. I built a wood frame around AC in lieu of the rigid foam.

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Quote:
I own a 2000 15B17CB with a Dometic BriskAir air conditioner installed and the bath door clears it by about 1/8 inch at the nearest point which is when the door is three quarters open. The clearance is close to 3/4 inch at the beginning of the swing. I can't say if there was any more clearance when the trailer was new, but have always noticed that the door just barely cleared as long as I have owned it.

I agree with the others, check the structure out very carefully.

Steve.
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot