2011 Outback door leaking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Registry
2011 Outback door leaking

Big rain in New Westminster BC today (ruined the parade). Thought to check our 2011 Outback for leaks (getting wiser about these things) and found the door is leaking somehow. I see water comes in from behind the seal at the very bottom of the door. Wipe it up and more pools in. Anyone else have this issue and any solutions?
Old 05-28-2016, 07:36 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPaul View Post
Big rain in New Westminster BC today (ruined the parade). Thought to check our 2011 Outback for leaks (getting wiser about these things) and found the door is leaking somehow. I see water comes in from behind the seal at the very bottom of the door. Wipe it up and more pools in. Anyone else have this issue and any solutions?
Order a new door gasket. You should be able to get an exact fit replacement for it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #3

British Columbia
Registry
They can fail after only 5 years? It seems to look like new.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 05-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Our '04 leaked in that exact spot within 3-4 years. Replacing the gasket worked.
Joe gave us a new one for free ---don't know if that is still what he'd do but no harm in letting him know your issue and seeing what happens from there.....he's excellent to deal with. Sometimes so busy that he doesn't answer emails right away but a phone call usually works.

Good luck.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Teresa. Good advice. Do you by chance recall what spot around the door leaked? I want to be certain I can reproduce the leak with a garden hose once things dry up.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:45 AM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
In our specific situation, there was a small gap in the gasket----perhaps just a slight miscalculation when measuring the length?---and it was there, where there was about 1/2" of no gasket, at the bottom, that we noticed it. only happened when the awning was not in use, as you might expect, and during heavy, heavy rains. it caused that removable carpet to get wet for about 2-3 inches just inside the doorway. We didn't replace the entire gasket. He sent us a piece of about 18 inches length and we cut off enough of the old gasket to totally snug it in, so about 17 1/2" in our case, to compensate for the gap.

No problems since.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #7

Name: Peter
Alberta
We have a 2010 outback and had a leak at the door too. Upon closer examination I found that it was actually the rubber at the top of the door that wasn't quite properly in place. After pushing it into position it doesn't leak anymore. I don't know if it's supposed to be glued on or not but I often just push on it every now and then just to make sure it's in place.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:23 AM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Thank you so much for the tips everyone. Today I hope to do some more diagnostics. Once again, these trailers are never "finished", they are a constant evolving story. I am starting to sense the Stockholm syndrome kicking in.