2013 Scamp 16' screws loosen when driving - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
2013 Scamp 16' screws loosen when driving

I've been noticing that the interior base screws under the rear side seat, and under the sink stove base, and the furnace cover always seem to loosen and even fall out. Is this because side pressure from passing vehicles and winds cause the frame to expand and compress at 60 -70 mph?

Note our tires are rated 81 mph, not 60.

Also noticed a bolt rivet pop off on that rear side seat.

Any suggestions, besides thicker replacement screws?

David
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
David, I had a similar problem with 2 of the wood screws at the base of the kitchen cabinet in our 13' Scamp. I removed the screws and used a tooth pick to first moisten the hole, then to push a small amount of Gorilla glue into the hole. I also put a film of the glue on the screws and reinstalled them. Water causes the glue to expand as it dries, so it takes very little. Wipe off any excess before it hardens and let it set for a day. It solved the problem. Good luck!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #3

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
David,

We too had a problem with most of the screws at the base of our Scamp13 kitchen unit.

After trying Loctite (failed) and then trying coating the screw threads with clear Silicone
Sealant (also failed), I broke some toothpicks into roughly the length of the screw threads
and poked several toothpick pieces into each hole. I then put the screws back in and they didn't back out. If you wanted to, you could coat the toothpick pieces with Elmer's glue before using them to partially fill the hole.

My dad was a carpenter and he used that technique when wood screws had been over tightened and stripped out the hole.

Best of luck to you!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #4

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Glue on the screws and balancing the tires solved the problem for us.

Lynn and Pam
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
The floor under the sink is just the MDF or pressboard stuff and not designed for holding screws edgewise. The screws can actually push the layers apart so they no longer grip well. We helped ours stay tighter by making sure the tires are balanced to reduce bouncing, and adding vertical bolts/washers through the floor near the screws to keep the wafers tighter and less prone to splitting apart.
For the furnace cover, we used machine screws and nylock nuts that resist loosening.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The biggest cause of such problems is too fast on rough roads.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
Good suggestions on securing the screws. And, of course, if we weren't driving, it wouldn't happen. Rough roads contributed to it for sure. Road into Waterton from USA and some roads headed north to Banff near Black Diamond and east from Calgary were rough. We were on a schedule and may have pushed a little. Good to see new territory. My tires are (were) balanced.
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin