3 way fridge not working - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Ventura
Saskatchewan
3 way fridge not working

Hello FBRV,
I am hoping someone can help me out here. I am remodeling a trailer and putting a new Dometic 2354 3 way fridge, they fridge has just came in and I wanted to plug it in to see if it works.
So I plugged it into a 120v outlet and nothing happened.

Any ideas why this is? Does it need to be hooked up to the gas lines and 12V DC to work?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Merc1fuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #2

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
How long did you leave it plugged in? Nothing noticeable happens when you plug it in but several hours (or more) later you should start noticing it getting cooler. Try leaving it plugged in overnight and then see if it cooling or not. Make sure the thermostat is set correctly and you should be good to go. You should not need it hooked up to gas or 12v dc for it to work on 120v.
Randy Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As mentioned, this type of refrigerator takes a considerable amount of time to start cooling. I suggest putting a gallon of cold water in the unit and monitor the temp of the water, not that of the air inside the refrigerator.

ALSO: It appears that this refrigerator also requires 12 VDC to operate the energy selector system. Here is a clip from the manual.

12 Volts DC Connection

This refrigerator model require a continuous 12 volt DC

supply to maintain the automatic energy system.

The connection is made to the positive (+) and negative

(-) terminals of the terminal block on back of the refrigerator.

(See FIG. 1). Correct polarity

I don\t know if it will default to 120 operation if there is no 12 VDC and no LP applied.

Above all, be patient... if it is a new refrigerator, it will work, Dometic is very good about quality control.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Almost all 3 way fridges require a 12v DC connection in order to power up, especially if they're AES. If the control board doesn't sense adequate input voltage, it won't turn on.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Almost all 3 way fridges require a 12v DC connection in order to power up, especially if they're AES. If the control board doesn't sense adequate input voltage, it won't turn on.
Control board does need 12V to run and sense energy source. If no 120V then it sends out 12V to the propane gas solenoid to open that.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #6

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Here's a little note to Dometic fridge owners. The newer fridges have a heater inside the freezer compartment door opening. This is intended to prevent the freezer door from freezing shut. The problem is, that as long as the fridge is receiving 12 volts, this heater is on, 24/7. If you are off grid this can flatten your batteries in two or three days. There is a switch in the upper casing of the door opening. If you are off grid I recommend that you slide it to the off position. This shuts off the heater.
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Dometic Refrigerators

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
"Almost all" might be a stretch, especially with many of the smaller units installed in FGRV's. I have had at least 6 Dometics in the past 10 years and none of them required 12VDC to operate. I usually don't even bother connecting the 12VDC circuit when installing them.

But, that said, always read the instructions before trying to make one work, some will require a 12 VDC connection.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #8

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
"Almost all" might be a stretch, especially with many of the smaller units installed in FGRV's. I have had at least 6 Dometics in the past 10 years and none of them required 12VDC to operate. I usually don't even bother connecting the 12VDC circuit when installing them.

But, that said, always read the instructions before trying to make one work, some will require a 12 VDC connection.
Many of the older models, particularly the smaller units, do not require a 12 volt source, as they run on a propane pilot light. This pilot light will be on as long as the fridge is in operation. But, many of the newer units have a control panel that regulates the cycling of the fridge, and ignites and turns off the pilot light. These units do require a 12 volt source or they will not run.
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

Ditto!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Here is a link to probably more detail than you really wanted to know about RV 'Fridges: http://www.rvdoctor.com/2004/02/rv-a...on-basics.html

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
If the controls are inside the trailer then the fridge most likely requires 12volts to power a control board. Figure about 1/2 amp battery drain to run it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #12

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
What is your outside temperature. Absorption refrigerators have been know to vapor lock when cooling is initiated at high ambient temps. The solution is to turn the unit off and try again when the outside temp bottoms out at night. And, be patient.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #13

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Ventura
Saskatchewan
Thank you everyone for your help, sorry it takes me so long to reply but have been busy working on it. It needed a 12v connection to work. The manual that came with the fridge was not that helpful but you all are.
Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Merc1fuL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge