3 way frig for a 1978 Burro? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #1

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: Burro
Colorado
3 way frig for a 1978 Burro?

Hey! We've got an ancient 1978 Burro--a conveyor of very fun times when the kids were little, and now we're fixing it up to use again! This is a very basic one. We managed to install a new floor and stay married...!
It has just an ice box and we were wondering about installing a propane refrigerator. Just the refrigerator, not a freezer too. Dometic has one, but it looks like it might stick out a bit according to our measurements-and the caution from rv folks (on Amazon)is that you'd better have access as the controls are in the BACK! We don't, unless the deal is that we'd have to cut the fiberglas exterior, and that sounds ill-advised. Can anyone give us advice about which one to get? The Dometic RM2193 looks like the right size (almost,as it is may be about an inch greater in depth) at 1.9 cu ft-but we aren't sure what we're getting into for a very expensive little item. We don't know if we'd be able to get at the controls and light the pilot, etc. Thanks for any advice!
jeffreybogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Download and study the installation manual. Properly installing an absorption fridge is a big project. It has to be properly vented with baffles and vents which have a specific range of dimensions. You need to insure that fumes do not enter the living area. It needs a propane supply and perhaps electrical supply with certain requirements that meet any applicable codes. On and on.. frankley.. Unless I needed the fridge to run for weeks at a time with little sun, I would just get a Danfoss (Secop) compressor fridge that runs on 12 VDC and 120 VAC and a good solar system. Maybe a generator for backup. Might run a little more $$$ but not that much and will perform better and be easier to maintain and deal with day to day.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:58 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
You are going to have to do a lot of cutting on the outside of the trailer, as absorption fridges require outside ventilation. My advice, don't do it.

If you want a fridge, my #1 choice would be to buy a truck style compressor fridge and keep it in your tow vehicle. Alternate is to get portable solar, and run a portable unit near your trailer when camping (keep it locked). I've been thinking of putting one in my truck bed, and then add a solar panel to the truck topper. Then I have a fridge with me, whether I am camping or not.

Many compressor fridges are MUCH cheaper than a new 3 way fridge, much more energy efficient too, and they can run colder. They are pretty much better in all aspects.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post

If you want a fridge, my #1 choice would be to buy a truck style compressor fridge and keep it in your tow vehicle....
It appears that we agree... I have a portable Danfoss / Secop type (which is what I assume you mean by truck style compressor) and I do leave it in the tow veh.. and I use it a lot in the vehicle when not camping. Its nice to not worry about melting ice cream on the 20-25 minute drive home from the grocery. I have left it in the tow vehicle when camping also, and ran an extension cord to run it on 120 VAC so that the veh. battery is not depleted. However in the hot sun, it had to work very hard.. running almost nonstop I think. So I would still plan on bringing it the camper, which is not hard as long as there is a place to put it. Its also not as big as my absorption fridge, although you can get a fair amount in it and its not much smaller than some 3-way fridges.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes these compressor fridges come in a variety of sizes, from very small on up. Amazon is full of them. Very popular with the van-life crowd. I can see a short one that could roll under the bed/rear dinette in my Trillium.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro