30 amp Power Cord - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Hi all,
I am shopping for a 30 amp power cord to replace the OEM 15 amp cord on the Compact II. Is this what I am looking for?
It's at Amazon.com. (Sorry I could not import the photo.

Thanks for your comments!
Fran

Camco 55191 RV 25' PowerGrip Electrical Powercord with Handle

francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Francene, I didn't look for your cord your asking about, cause I was wondering if your trailer has 15 amp wiring can you use a 30amp cord? Or have you replaced the trailer wiring? I thought you had to have 30 amp wiring to use 30 amp. Could be wrong but I don't think so. Just don't want you burn'en something up if you can help it. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Francene, I didn't look for your cord your asking about, cause I was wondering if your trailer has 15 amp wiring can you use a 30amp cord? Or have you replaced the trailer wiring? I thought you had to have 30 amp wiring to use 30 amp. Could be wrong but I don't think so. Just don't want you burn'en something up if you can help it. Robin
Yes, I'll be putting in new wiring, 2 - 15 amp circuits.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look in Walmart in the camper section.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Tent
Francene, I think your looking for the main power cord not an extension cord, correct. The description you had above leads to an extension cord at Amazon.com (30 amp extension cord ). Here is a 30 Amp cord for $32.00. You could also install the EZ lock cord if you wanted (EZ Lock cord and outlet), at the bottom of the page, but quite a bit more money.

Mike

[Editted to add alternative links]
Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #6

If you shop around you will B able to find it for a better price. Look for it on EBay.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userp...ard+Power+Inlet

What makes this receptacle so good is that it is sealed so ants and rodents that walk up your AC cable, can not get in through the gaps in the factory installed inlet.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #7

Registry
Thanks to all who answered this question

I've seen the 'extension'cord at Walmart.
Can't I use a 30amp RV 'extension' cord and cut off the female end then wire it directly into the breaker box?

Fran
Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #8

Yes you can. Then you use the factory AC cord Hole/Door where your cord is pushed back into the camper when not in use.
Note: When you use that method, ants will crawl up your cord and gain entrance into your camper.

After you wire it up, make sure you use the plug in testing device to check the receptacle that you will plug the cord into to make sure it is OK and then plug in your cord and use the tester to insure all the wiring in the camper is correct.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #9

Trailer: Tent
Francene, I see no reason you couldn't cut off the end and use the extension cord, my concern would be the size of the male end. Will it fit inside when traveling.

Mike
Old 01-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
make sure that when you get the cord, it is what you really need. If you go with a 30 amp plug on the end, then you are going to need an adapter whenever you want to plug in to a standard outlet. A lot of the places I have camped do not have more than a 15 amp plug (normal plug).
My Trillium 5500 has a panel with five 15 amp breakers including a ground fault, and I still have only a 15 amp plug on my cord. I have never tripped anything but a ground fault breaker on a really rainy night.
I use an electric micro furnace when plugged in, and a toaster and toaster-oven.
just use one at a time that's all, I even have an electric element in my water heater that I use when plugged in.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #11

Registry
Joe, interesting you say that, because I've been wondering if I could get by with my original 15 amp cord that the Compact supplied.

The only change I've made to the original set-up was to install a new breaker box with two 15 amp breakers instead of only one in the original box. PLUS, I will have 4 more receptacles for appliances like toaster oven or the smallest microwave. I've also replaced the original incandescent lights with small energy-star fluorescents.

All the possible appliances that could be used won't be running at the same time, as you say. I know I can get adapters to be able plug into any RV hook-up.

So is there any problem with re-using my original 15 amp cord other than occasionally tripping a breaker?

Fran
Old 01-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
After you wire it up, make sure you use the plug in testing device to check the receptacle that you will plug the cord into to make sure it is OK and then plug in your cord and use the tester to insure all the wiring in the camper is correct.
I will surely get that 3-wire circuit analyzer, Darwin. Test as I go along, so when the wiring is complete, there'll be no surprises!

Fran
Old 01-31-2010, 06:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I think the only problem you might have is occasionally tripping a campground breaker, and I haven't done that in a long time

joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
make sure that when you get the cord, it is what you really need. If you go with a 30 amp plug on the end, then you are going to need an adapter whenever you want to plug in to a standard outlet. A lot of the places I have camped do not have more than a 15 amp plug (normal plug).
My Trillium 5500 has a panel with five 15 amp breakers including a ground fault, and I still have only a 15 amp plug on my cord. I have never tripped anything but a ground fault breaker on a really rainy night.
I use an electric micro furnace when plugged in, and a toaster and toaster-oven.
just use one at a time that's all, I even have an electric element in my water heater that I use when plugged in.
Joe
I would much rather use a heavier cord than I need most of the time and adapt it smaller than have too small of a cord that can never allow for more capacity,wouldn't you really?

If you think about it a little,do not trade convenience for safety.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote