5th. Wheel hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
5th. Wheel hitch

Are 5th. wheel trailer hitches all the same with regard to the pin position and locking device?
I realize that the base of the hitch will vary depending on the manufacturer's design and installation but are they like the big rigs, does one size fit all?
Thanks in advance. SD.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
No. A "5th Wheel" Scamp has, actually, a Gooseneck hitch. It mounts to a ball which is fixed to the bed of a pickup truck.
True 5th wheel hitches use a raised frame work in the truck bed that supports a flat plate "5th Wheel" Those may be more standardized. But I am no expert.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
"5th Wheel Scamp Hitch"

The Scamp 19 foot "5th wheel" trailer's hitch is partially a gooseneck and partially and 5th wheel. It requires a 2" ball raised in the bed of the truck at the height of a true 5th wheel. A true gooseneck hitch has the ball mounted on the floor of the truck's bed.
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
Are 5th. wheel trailer hitches all the same with regard to the pin position and locking device?
I realize that the base of the hitch will vary depending on the manufacturer's design and installation but are they like the big rigs, does one size fit all?
Thanks in advance. SD.
The OP specifically asked about pin position and locking device. I do not see why the Scamp 19 hitch was even brought up, as it is NEITHER a 5th wheel hitch NOR a gooseneck hitch. It is it's own animal and no other trailer in the world uses Scamp's proprietary system. A gooseneck utilizes a ball ON THE FLOOR of the truck's cargo bed. The Scamp 19 uses a ball which is elevated above the floor of the bed. A 5th wheel utilizes a king pin. A true 5th wheel DOES NOT require safety chains, the Scamp 19 DOES. While commonly referred to as a 5th wheel, the Scamp 19 is not a 5th wheel, it only "resembles" one due to its connection location. Some people have cut off the coupler and welded a king pin on their Scamp 19s, thereby converting them to 5th wheels.

That being said, all 5th wheels utilize a king pin. But not all 5th wheel hitches utilize the same locking mechanism. Some use a set of "jaws" that totally encircle the king pin on lock-up. Others use a sliding bar the does not encircle the king pin but prevents the king pin from backing out of the hitch.

It can also be mentioned that some 5th wheel owners also use king pin modifying hitches made by Andersen or Pull Rite that mimic the Scamp 19's coupler/ball setup. These hitches, because they "override" the 5th wheel hitch also require the use of safety chains.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
I suppose I could have been more specific:

The 5th. wheel hitch would be for a 1985 Travelaire, singe axle 5th. wheel trailer. Hopefully the pictures will upload.

Please don't get on my case about moving away from FG, I still own the Bigfoot B17 and Trillium 4500 [for a little while longer......]Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	105263

Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	105264