61 holes! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #1

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
61 holes!

Decided to conquer holes this weekend. 61 to be exact!

32 holes eliminated: 20 holes left behind after removing curtain rod hardware, 3 from the former breaker box, 2 from the outlet under the sink, 2 from the fluorescent kitchen light, and 5 from the drain outlet.

29 holes patched (new holes to be drilled for new LED trailer lights and 30A shore power inlet): 10 holes from rear marker lights and 16 from tail lights (how???) and 3 from power inlet.

I cut away small rectangles of the ensolite around the holes left from the curtain rod hardware and removed the adhesive and stuck foam with a wire brush attachment on my drill. I beveled the inside and outside of the holes with a Dremel, vacuumed the dust, wiped inside and out with a tack cloth, and clean inside and outside of each hole with acetone before starting.

I found that the best results were achieved by wrapping cut squares of cardboard in wax paper and adhering them to the outside of the shell with masking tape. I then use Bondo Glass on the interior of the shell. The areas where there was absolutely no ensolite were pretty easy. Trying to squish the Bondo Glass into the small areas to fill the curtain hardware holes was messy and a huge PITA. If I could do it over, I would patch these from the outside. Some of the patches didn’t spread out over the outer edges of the holes on the exterior of the shell, so I ended up roughing those up from the outside and adding more Bondo Glass.

I sanded the hardened Bondo Glass, cleaned the surface, and followed it up with Bondo filler and more sanding.

Not going to lie… I doubted myself there for a minute, BUT I’m calling the project a success because I can close my eyes and run my fingers over the repair and not feel a blemish.

I wish I could say I was close to being done with filling holes. Still have many to go. I feel like I’ve got a better handle on the technique, though.

Safety first!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	142724

Some before shots:

Name:	IMG_8052.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	142725

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	142726

Ensolite cut away to access holes from curtain rod hardware:

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	142727

Hard to capture how smooth the finished product feels (lighter color is the filler, not pits):

Name:	IMG_0064.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	142728

Name:	IMG_0073.JPG
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	142729

Name:	IMG_7426.jpg
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	142730

Excuse all the road dirt—pretty dirty from the tow from Michigan to Georgia!
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:21 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
All this learning and experience might be employment security..
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...97691030279431
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Great work Courtney! You could coat those bondo patches with gel coat (even Scamp sells it).
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:58 AM   #4

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
All this learning and experience might be employment security..

Ha! I don’t think I could handle winters up there, though.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:03 AM   #5

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Great work Courtney! You could coat those bondo patches with gel coat (even Scamp sells it).

I was thinking about that today.

I’m patching so many holes that I thought I’d just paint my Scamp. Not sure if I’m up for that, though. I’m a perfectionist when it comes to paint, and I don’t think I could do a good enough job to satisfy myself. Do you think I could gel coat just the area of the spots I fill and get an accurate enough match to the 43 years old original gel coat? Can I just re-gel coat the whole thing?
Old 08-16-2021, 05:41 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I think you could match the shade close enough. If all of the holes are tiny, spot gel coating should work. Or spot repair with matching paint.

(The following two paragraphs were edited.)

GEL COAT: Check some youtube videos if you are thinking about gel coating the whole trailer. Best way to do it is spray. Rolling or brushing is very labor intensive because the gel coat will not level out. Requires extensive sanding with long board starting with coarse grit.

PAINT: Brushing or rolling with paint is easier. Suitable paint (marine topside) will level out when rolling or for some products, rolling and tipping. Or you can spray marine topside paint or automotive paint.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:08 PM   #7

Georgia
Filled 114 more holes today!