70's Scamp Axle Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
70's Scamp Axle Question

I am working on an older scamp mid 70's. I was told that the Axle was "flipped" to make it ride lower. The body has sustained major damage over the tung obviously from rough riding. The axle is a standard issue Dexter from what I can tell, and it is welded in place. The brackets look normal and I don't know how you would be able to flip it? Any Axle guru's have some input? The rig does seam to sit pretty low compared to my trailer that is the era. But I think my rig has a newer axle.

TIA!
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan View Post
I am working on an older scamp mid 70's. I was told that the Axle was "flipped" to make it ride lower. The body has sustained major damage over the tung obviously from rough riding. The axle is a standard issue Dexter from what I can tell, and it is welded in place. The brackets look normal and I don't know how you would be able to flip it? Any Axle guru's have some input? The rig does seam to sit pretty low compared to my trailer that is the era. But I think my rig has a newer axle.

TIA!
It's not actually flipped, it is a Dexter 1200# leading arm axle.It is made to have the spindle forward of the axle.The new 13 uses a Dexter 2200# trailing arm axle. It is made to have the spindle aft of the axle.
The old configuration allowed the axle to be installed behind the step which created a lower stance, allowing the trailer to to fit through a standard seven foot garage door.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It's not actually flipped, it is a Dexter 1200# leading arm axle.It is made to have the spindle forward of the axle.The new 13 uses a Dexter 2200# trailing arm axle. It is made to have the spindle aft of the axle.
The old configuration allowed the axle to be installed behind the step which created a lower stance, allowing the trailer to to fit through a standard seven foot garage door.
That makes sense to me... But, the owner is very adamant that he had it modified. He purchased the trailer brand new in 1976. But I think you are probably right. It is in a spindle first configuration.

You say that the newer rigs have the spindle aft of the axle? Does that mean that the later models have a different frame layout? Because on both mine (77' and Theirs 76') the axle rides just below the frame rails behind the step.

Obviously I have diddly knowledge of torsion axles

Thank you for the info!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Can you take some pictures?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan View Post
That makes sense to me... But, the owner is very adamant that he had it modified. He purchased the trailer brand new in 1976. But I think you are probably right. It is in a spindle first configuration.

You say that the newer rigs have the spindle aft of the axle? Does that mean that the later models have a different frame layout? Because on both mine (77' and Theirs 76') the axle rides just below the frame rails behind the step.

Obviously I have diddly knowledge of torsion axles

Thank you for the info!
I have an '81 in the garage and a 2004 parked next to it.
I have owned several late 70's and early 80's Scamps
Here are pictures of each, starboard side behind the axle, first a late model then an early one these are the best pictures I have sorry...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0022.JPG   DSCF0026.JPG  

DSCF0028.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have an '81 in the garage and a 2004 parked next to it.
I have owned several late 70's and early 80's Scamps
Here are pictures of each, starboard side behind the axle, first a late model then an early one these are the best pictures I have sorry...
Well that pretty well answers the question. The layout is clearly different, and the 81' matches what I am seeing on both of mine. But that adds yet another question. What are the wires going into your hub? do you have breaks and is that factory? I ask because on my 77' I have that same wire running between the axle, but it is cutoff on both ends and goes nowhere else. I don't remember seeing that on the 76', I will have to take a closer look. On another note; does the 81' then ride higher?

Sorry for all the questions... but this is very interesting! Thank you!

Tags
axle, scamp