Hi Fordson, we've been slowly working on a 72 Hunter Compact Jr. We pulled the shell of the frame and had some cross pieces added, sandblasted, and then powder coated.
Steps we followed, based on reading other posts on the forum:
1. We removed most of the interior in order to have full access to the plywood and bolts.
2. We unbolted the floor from the frame, I ended up breaking about half the bolts during this process. Once unbolted I cut up the floor and removed it.
3. We built a wooden frame out of 2x4's and lifted the shell and slid the wood underneath it. Getting the shell onto the 2x4s and off again at the end was probably the hardest part.
4. Once we had it on the 2x4's, I used car jacks to raise the 2x4 frame.
4b. At this point, I realized that I couldn't raise it high enough to roll it out on the tires
, so I threw some dolly's under the axle
and removed the tires
so the frame was sitting on the dolly's, then I rolled it out from under the shell.
5. We put some wheels on the corners of our 2x4 frame so we could move the shell around our garage while the frame was being restored.
6. When the frame was done we jacked the shell back up, rolled it back under, and then slowly, and irritatingly, lowered it so that the holes all lined up. Then we pulled the 2x4s out. The frame connects to the shell directly on the bolts near the walls, and then it connects to the Subfloor & shell on the bolts near the wheels, we had to do some adjusting once the wood was removed to make sure all the holes lined up.
7. Then we bought some marine-grade plywood and we didn't get a 10' sheet, which is what ours had originally, we did it with 2 4x8 sheets, and cut it and put it in, and bolted it all backdown.
This is how we did it and it worked out well enough for us with the equipment we had access to.