72 Compact Jr Frame Off Resto - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #1

Name: Keith
Trailer: Compac Jr.
PA
72 Compact Jr Frame Off Resto

Hello All. I have a 72 Compact Jr that I will need to replace at least 1/2 of the plywood floor. I will have to take the camper off the frame and while I'm about I will check the frame out and paint it.
Any one have any pics or experience in separating the shell from the frame? I know the shells got to be fragile after 49 years. Just looking for the best method.

Thank You for Your Kind Attention
Fordson58
Fordson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #2

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
I got boat experience same stuff. Brace the shell as if floor while you work on the frame. Trying to avoid as much flex as possible to avoid stress cracks in the gel coat. Before you address the frame check out pot 15 products. Use them on all my hot rods projects. Be good to take some pics as you go. https://por15.com/collections/all?ut...SAAEgLvN_D_BwE
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #3

PA
Thanks mosquito13

Appreciate it
Had the trailer for a few years just getting round to rehab. As usual the
deeper you go the more fun stuff you find. I will check out pot 15
Safe Travels
Old 10-23-2021, 05:25 PM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Maryland
Por 15

It was a probably an autocorrect. Don't want you to go down the wrong rabbit hole. Great product!
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:31 AM   #5

PA
d benson Thanks

Thanks for heads up
Old 11-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #6

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
California
My Compact Restoration

Hi Fordson, we've been slowly working on a 72 Hunter Compact Jr. We pulled the shell of the frame and had some cross pieces added, sandblasted, and then powder coated.

Steps we followed, based on reading other posts on the forum:

1. We removed most of the interior in order to have full access to the plywood and bolts.

2. We unbolted the floor from the frame, I ended up breaking about half the bolts during this process. Once unbolted I cut up the floor and removed it.

3. We built a wooden frame out of 2x4's and lifted the shell and slid the wood underneath it. Getting the shell onto the 2x4s and off again at the end was probably the hardest part.

4. Once we had it on the 2x4's, I used car jacks to raise the 2x4 frame.

4b. At this point, I realized that I couldn't raise it high enough to roll it out on the tires, so I threw some dolly's under the axle and removed the tires so the frame was sitting on the dolly's, then I rolled it out from under the shell.

5. We put some wheels on the corners of our 2x4 frame so we could move the shell around our garage while the frame was being restored.

6. When the frame was done we jacked the shell back up, rolled it back under, and then slowly, and irritatingly, lowered it so that the holes all lined up. Then we pulled the 2x4s out. The frame connects to the shell directly on the bolts near the walls, and then it connects to the Subfloor & shell on the bolts near the wheels, we had to do some adjusting once the wood was removed to make sure all the holes lined up.

7. Then we bought some marine-grade plywood and we didn't get a 10' sheet, which is what ours had originally, we did it with 2 4x8 sheets, and cut it and put it in, and bolted it all backdown.

This is how we did it and it worked out well enough for us with the equipment we had access to.
Attached Thumbnails
1 Interior Removal.jpg   2 Floor Removal.jpg  

3 Framm rolled out.jpg   4. Shell on 2x4 frame.jpg  

5. Frame Restored.jpg   6. Frame rolled back in.jpg  

7 New Flooring installed.jpg   8 Interior Mostly put back.jpg  

9. 2nd Interior shot.jpg  
MitchellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #7

PA
Thanks A Bunch. Really appreciate you sharing your experience. You are going to save me some time. Stole all your pics and your text. I was wondering how to handle the floor. Great idea the way you did it. I take it you ran your seam on top of a frame member?
4X10 foot sheets of plywood are pretty dear. 2 4x8s are actually cheaper. If I can ask ,
mine is so old its hard to tell, what thickness did you get?
Old 11-08-2021, 11:23 PM   #8

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
California
We used 3/4" plywood for the flooring and you're right, we cut it to meet on one of the framing members. We joined the two pieces with glue & pocket hole screws, seems to have worked well. We put down some plank vinyl on top of the flooring, and if we were going to do it again, I would use a sheet vinyl instead. Good luck with your restoration!
MitchellN is offline   Reply With Quote