73 Boler Frame Crack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
73 Boler Frame Crack

Hello

New member here, we picked up a 73 Boler and yesterday I got around to jacking up the trailer and inspecting the frame. The frame appears to be in very good shape except for some weakness and cracks on the front drivers side. The crack is right at one of the identified stress points (where the angle for the tongue starts).

I am thinking I will have to lift the body and get the trailer frame out and then access if this can be reinforced or a new frame will be required. I am not sure if the frame can be strengthened while the fiberglass body is on the frame. Before I proceed with separating the body from the frame I would like to see what you fine folks recommend I do.

I will also need a new axle.

I have attached 3 pictures. The first one is the side view from the drivers side. The second is a view from below the frame and the third is a view of the inside side of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
frame-crack-.jpg   crack_underside.jpg  

frame-crack-oppositeside.jpg  
wpgboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
My 74 boler appears to have the same style frame.
I havent experienced any cracking yet but if I did I would do a couple things before even considering replacing the whole frame.
1) I would take a ball peen hammer and hit suspected areas with it to see if there is still strength in it.
2)drill a couple small holes around the cracked area to see if it still has some wall thickness
3) drill a hole at the end of the crack, grind out and weld it up.
4) make 2 gussets, one that goes up close to the floor and picks up the original gusset on the inside of the frame rail and one that is shaped to the bottom of the frame rail, welded to the gusset and out side edge of the rail.
Use it and check repairs.
I bought an axle from Paul on this site, was a bolt in and works great.
Good luck with your boler!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cracks

talk to someone who repairs corvettes you will get some good answers in your case I see fiberglass repair cloth and coats of fiberglass to repair and strengthen that.

I honestly wouldn't have purchased this but I think you knew what you were buying and willing to take a risk!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
new axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I havent experienced any cracking yet but if I did I would do a couple things before even considering replacing the whole frame.
1) I would take a ball peen hammer and hit suspected areas with it to see if there is still strength in it.
2)drill a couple small holes around the cracked area to see if it still has some wall thickness
4) make 2 gussets, one that goes up close to the floor and picks up the original gusset on the inside of the frame rail and one that is shaped to the bottom of the frame rail, welded to the gusset and out side edge of the rail.
Fred
fred did you raise your camper with this new axle. a guy just bought my a-liner and wants to do this. I had to tell him I had no experience in this? will this do it? thanks bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you check around in your area you are likely to find a local company that does trailer repair. I have scouted for such in the Seattle area and found several such places in the communities just to the north and south of the major metropolitan area. It is not unusual to find them in these outlying areas as the operating cost are lower plus they have a lot of customers from the agricultural based customers who need trailer welding types of repairs for various types of equipment that gets pulled behind tractors. Your repair cost will likely also be lower in those outlying locations.

For your keywords use "trailer repair" and add in the descriptive words for your local region. Example: for mine I would try "puget sound" as that covers Seattle as well as the smaller communities around me. We have a lot of boat trailers here so my region has lots of small trailer repair options. I even found some mobile welding services when I did that search! That is nice because if you don't want to or can't haul the trailer to them then they will come to you.

As to replacing axles, the trailer repair company can handle that too if you want them to.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #6

Name: Andy
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Fred
Thank you Fred. Using the pein hammer, I was not able to detect any issues with the frame strength. I didn't get around to drilling some holes to check for frame thickness, I will do that over the next few days.

Metro trailers in here in Winnipeg also supplies axles for the boler. I will get it from them. I am also looking at possibly switching the axle to a trailing arm position.

Andy
wpgboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
While mine is a Trillium rather than a Boler, when I replaced the extremely old axle, I ordered it with the arms in the "trailing" orientation.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Similar Experience !

Hi Andy; I removed the shell from our '73 Boler, in order to more closely examine all portions of the frame. I found no significant frame concerns, so merely had it sand-blasted and repainted; after welding on additional 'angles' for 3\8th SS bolts and large supporting washers; one at each corner. We decided to replace the axle, as the 43 yr. old shell hung too low for my liking; and, added brakes for further 'mental comfort' and for potential resale value at some future time. With minimal FGRV research, and 'Paul Newmeister's advice' we stayed with the same forward sloping arms, and the original downslope. We now casually continue this refurbishing 'seniors hobby' for the future use of our 'chillun' and the 'grandies'.

Tags
boler