74 13' Ventura Door Lock - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #1

Name: Reg
Trailer: 1974 Ventura
British Columbia
74 13' Ventura Door Lock

Would appreciate any info on sourcing a new unit or key lock replacement.
Trailer was broken into by wrecking the key recepitical.
The Manufacturer was Ventura Industries in Winkler, Manitoba.

Thanks,

Reg
regspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Reg, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you found us. I'm not familiar with the Ventura Door Lock. Hopefully someone will pop in and give you some advice.

Just wanted to say "hi."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi Reg, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you found us. I'm not familiar with the Ventura Door Lock. Hopefully someone will pop in and give you some advice.

Just wanted to say "hi."
HI,

Thank you, I have been driving thru Portland for the last four years on my way to California via 101.
Just love the drive.

Reg
Old 09-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
The ventura uses the the Bargman L400 which is discontinued but they did make a repair kit to rebuild them(including a new lock and keys). I found one here but not sure if they have anymore. I do have the old lock and key from my Ventura if you can't find a new one.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
The ventura uses the the Bargman L400 which is discontinued but they did make a repair kit to rebuild them(including a new lock and keys). I found one here but not sure if they have anymore. I do have the old lock and key from my Ventura if you can't find a new one.
Thanks for your help. I will contact them right away.

Reg
Old 09-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #6

British Columbia
Bargman L400

th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
HI Dudley, I just received an email from crouchcampers that they have no repair kits or a source.
Therefore your Lock and Key is respectfully requested.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #7

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Bargman L400 Latch problems: Reproductions wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by regspeed View Post
th

HI Dudley, I just received an email from crouchcampers that they have no repair kits or a source.
Therefore your Lock and Key is respectfully requested.
I found a L400 repair kit on Ebay last month for 125$ including shipping. I suggest you do a search on Ebay for "Bargman Lock" and save your search to be notified automatically by email once anything of that kind surfaces on the matter.

The achille's heel of this lock is the latch. My latch tip was broken and I found out the latch is made of two parts: a steel slide and a brittle zinc pressure casting for the tip. Such metals do not weld to each other, so It is very hard to fix the old part and it won't last. I will eventually make some experiments welding steel tips, but I'm a long way from a reliable solution. This is why I'm very happy to have found a L400 Repair kit.

I'm pretty sure someone could manufacture someting equivalent out of a more rugged and recent alloy. Someone has done it for the Bargman L66 latch, which is now available as an upgraded (read more rugged) reproduction of the OEM part: L-66 Latchbolt for 20$ !!! . I wish someone with proper milling equipment and knowledge saw a business opportunity for the L400 too. I'm certain it would sell hundreds that only need that part that can't be fixed. I'm a health professionnal, not a retired welder or machinist of any kind. I'm inviting talented and knowledgeable people to check for a business opportunity that could benefit to all of us.

Tags
ventura