74 boler - window and window seal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2009, 04:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Just wondering if anyone knew what is the best type of window(front and back) I can use for a '74 boler, I have heard that plexi glass whitens and cracks within a few years. Does anyone have any sugguestions?

Also,
Once I do replace these 2 main windows, I will have to replace the seals for them. Does anyone know the name or style of the seal?
And does anyone know where I can get buy it from. I live in Victoria BC, but will order online etc if necessary.

Thanks!
Hans N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Just wondering if anyone knew what is the best type of window(front and back) I can use for a '74 boler, I have heard that plexi glass whitens and cracks within a few years. Does anyone have any sugguestions?

Also,
Once I do replace these 2 main windows, I will have to replace the seals for them. Does anyone know the name or style of the seal?
And does anyone know where I can get buy it from. I live in Victoria BC, but will order online etc if necessary.

Thanks!
Hans, I have a 21 year old Scamp with the original front and back plexiglass windows. Neither have turned cloudy or white nor cracked. Plexiglass gets foggy when ammonia glass cleaner is continually used. The same applies for plexiglass headlights in vehicles. The front window is not flat, your options are either use reuse plexiglass or lexan. Lexan is more expensive, but is known to yellow from UVs and get brittle. Airplanes often use highgrade lexan. It's possible if your back window is completely flat, you may be able to put a real glass window in it, with aluminum frame. Test that, by using a completely flat 2x4 across the back of the trailer. If the trailer curves before you can see the entire frame area, you will need to put plexi or lexan back in... both will bend to the compound curve.

You can get the gasket material and lockstrip from Scamp. Scamp sells it by the foot. You'll want to use a lockstrip tool: Windshield Lockstrip Tool. Some have used a screwdriver and wished they hadn't!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Hans N... I believe that any good glass shop Speedy/ Apple/ Standard etc. can re set the windows. They still use the same gaskets on trucks/busses and RV's. It's easy when you have the right tools and know how!!!
On my former '77 Boler I buffed them with Brasso and what a difference. Apply it like any wax/polish let it dry and buff with a soft cloth.
A friend came over to view the trailer and nearly put his hand thru the window. It was that clear!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Thanks for the replies - the information really does help.

I will stick with plexi glass, and get those seals from the scamp website.

Not sure if I am comfortable putting in the plexi glass in myself, may take going into a glass shop into consideration.

Cheers.
Hans N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hans, if you choose to DIY, check out these videos on YouTube provided by our very own Kevin61!

Kevin61 has some great YouTube videos that show how to put in the windows:
Installation of Boler front/rear window part one video, installing a Boler plexiglass window
and Installation of Boler front/rear window part TWO video

These videos are VERY helpful for any brand of trailer using gasket and lock strip.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler