74 Hunter I resto pix - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Here is some pix of my Hunter project.

shell off of frame frame before cleaning
Attached Thumbnails
hunter_001.JPG   hunter_003.JPG  

harold f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

Quote:

frame after cleaning and painting
Attached Thumbnails
hunter_frame_001.JPG  
Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #3

Quote:

poptop roof off
Attached Thumbnails
sanding_001.JPG  
Old 05-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #4

Quote:
poptop roof off
sanding old paint off
Attached Thumbnails
sanding_002.JPG  
Old 05-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
sanding old paint off

Hunter I logo found under paint windows removed
Attached Thumbnails
sanding_003.JPG   sanding_004.JPG  

Old 05-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Harold Wow !! you have made some fantastic progress. I have high admiration for those of you who do "frame off" restorations. I am fairly competent at interior mods cabinets, doors, etc. but the thought of a "frame off" restoration strikes fear in my heart. I have visions of the trailer body sitting on the floor of the garage with the frame proped up against the wall for months before I could get up the nerve to take the next step. I will be particularly interested in the window install as I may need to replace the front window on my Uhaul soon. Do you plan to restore the logo and leave it on display or will it vanish on the completed trailer? The logo is a neat touch. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Some impressive pics Harold, WOW on the frame off work! My hats off to you as well, I don't think I'm brave enough to do such an invasive remodel, at least not at this point...
And what a find on that label under the paint! Looks like they'd even created a logo of sorts for the line or something... Are you planning on trying to keep that intact or what?
Keep up the good work & great pic-sharing!

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Harold Wow !! you have made some fantastic progress. I have high admiration for those of you who do "frame off" restorations. I am fairly competent at interior mods cabinets, doors, etc. but the thought of a "frame off" restoration strikes fear in my heart. I have visions of the trailer body sitting on the floor of the garage with the frame proped up against the wall for months before I could get up the nerve to take the next step. I will be particularly interested in the window install as I may need to replace the front window on my Uhaul soon. Do you plan to restore the logo and leave it on display or will it vanish on the completed trailer? The logo is a neat touch. Lee

Hey Lee. I am going to try and salvage the logo but I damaged it some with sander before I knew what it was.Put a little aceone on it and used a razor scraper to get a lot of the paint off after I saw it .The frame was not too bad to get out .I used a small floor jack,lots of blocks and also concrete blocks and heavy boards to go across. Took quite a while to get bolts that hold shell to frame out.Soaked them overnight with marvel mystery oil and most came out but some broke off. Put ss bolts going back in.Used vice gtips on nuts below and 1/2 electric impact inside shell to remove old bolts .. I pretty much had to take frame out because the frame had cracked where the a-frame joined to the rest of the trailer and someone had welded 2" angle into it but they couldn't get to topside where it needed it most. I welded in lots more braces to stiffen it up.When I pulled it home it was awful "bouncy". Hopefully this cured that problem.
You should not be afraid to tackle yours,just make sure you get the gas line and any other thing out that goes through shell bottom.You can do, a lady on here named Francene did her CII and she also did most (maybe all) of the work herself!!! The screws on the inside ring of the windows were hard to come out had to try several phillips sizes to find the right one. Had to use a small torch on a few before they would come out,Its not too bad, the inside ring comes off pretty easy after u get the screws out. I was afraid the window was going to fall out so I had aprop on outside but it takes a good bit of work with a putty knife ect to get the old seal to break aloose.Good luck .Harold
Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Some impressive pics Harold, WOW on the frame off work! My hats off to you as well, I don't think I'm brave enough to do such an invasive remodel, at least not at this point...
And what a find on that label under the paint! Looks like they'd even created a logo of sorts for the line or something... Are you planning on trying to keep that intact or what?
Keep up the good work & great pic-sharing!

Joe
Good to hear from you again Joe.Yea I have been busy lately (just about every day). Helped my neighbor cut firewood today so didn't get to work on Hunter.Have kinda put the canvas thing on hold for now.Yea I am going to keep the logo,will have to do smoe work to it.Think I should keep the original colors Joe? Thanks,Harold
Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Good to see your photos, harold. You have done an amazing job so far. That paint would have been a huge challenge for anyone.

Great looking job on the frame! You are making huge improvements. It looks so much better already.

Fran
74 Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Good to hear from you again Joe.Yea I have been busy lately (just about every day). Helped my neighbor cut firewood today so didn't get to work on Hunter.Have kinda put the canvas thing on hold for now.Yea I am going to keep the logo,will have to do smoe work to it.Think I should keep the original colors Joe? Thanks,Harold
You know, that logo can be replicated and a new decal can be made easily. I've made new decals for both my Scamp and Perris Pacer.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Good to see your photos, harold. You have done an amazing job so far. That paint would have been a huge challenge for anyone.

Great looking job on the frame! You are making huge improvements. It looks so much better already.

Fran
74 Compact II
Hello again Fran!! Sorry for not getting back to you quicker,have been working on things around home that I have gotten behind on and haven't worked on Hunter or gotten on computer in a couple of days. Went to TN river yesterday. Thanks for the compliments. I was getting ready to send you a message to ask you about the seal or moulding that holds the glass into the alum. frame of the windows and seals the glass. Not the seal that goes between the window and camper but the one that goes around the glass. Checked with local camper places and Glass Doctor and Havent had any luck. Will be quite a while before I am ready for it but I am just checking around for it.Macmaster Carr may have it.Still have a lot more sanding to do,kinda dreading it ,Ha !!Have a GREAT DAY!!! Harold
Old 05-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #13

Quote:
You know, that logo can be replicated and a new decal can be made easily. I've made new decals for both my Scamp and Perris Pacer.
Hey thanks Robert.How did you make the decals? I had thought about just painting in the missing places but that may not look good. Thanks,Harold
Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Hey thanks Robert.How did you make the decals? I had thought about just painting in the missing places but that may not look good. Thanks,Harold

One of my "skills" is that of an graphic artist. I can relatively easily duplicate your logo with a drawing program and send you a file. This file you would submit to a decal company like http://www.carstickers.com/

They then produce the decal and ship it to you. If you're interested, send me an email with a close-up photo of the logo now on your trailer and I'll make the art for you.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #15

Quote:
One of my "skills" is that of an graphic artist. I can relatively easily duplicate your logo with a drawing program and send you a file. This file you would submit to a decal company like http://www.carstickers.com/

They then produce the decal and ship it to you. If you're interested, send me an email with a close-up photo of the logo now on your trailer and I'll make the art for you.
Hey thanks Robert. I checked out that website and they have some neat stuff.I need to clean it some more and decide which way to go. I will let you know either way I decide but it may be several days. Thanks, Harold
Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Quote:
... ask you about the seal or moulding that holds the glass into the alum. frame of the windows and seals the glass. Not the seal that goes between the window and camper but the one that goes around the glass.
The windows are standard house windows, and you can get the rubber channel from your local window or glass shop.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:40 AM   #17

Quote:
The windows are standard house windows, and you can get the rubber channel from your local window or glass shop.
Thanks Dana, I will check with them.Harold
Old 06-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks Dana, I will check with them.Harold

pics of shell and poptop with 3 coats of Rustoleum thinned down with oderless mineral spirits and applied with small dia. 6" high density foam roller.Have 3 more coats to go!!!
Attached Thumbnails
hunter_paint_003.JPG   hunter_paint_1_001.JPG  

hunter_paint_1_002.JPG  
Old 06-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #19

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
pics of shell and poptop with 3 coats of Rustoleum thinned down with oderless mineral spirits and applied with small dia. 6" high density foam roller.Have 3 more coats to go!!!
Looks real good!!!
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Wow, harold, your paint job looks great! ! ! Looks like you really did a great job sanding and prepping.

Keep up the good work~

Fran
74 Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote