'76 Trillium front gaucho modification - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #1

Name: Jennings
Trailer: Trillium
Pennsylvania
'76 Trillium front gaucho modification

Happy Friday,

I'll try to keep this short. The interior of my '76 Trillium is basically one piece of molded fiberglass (like a tub). My intention was to build a mini dinette in the front of camper, but there's a bench that spans the width of the space (I've heard it called a gaucho bench/couch). In order to build a space to eat for two, I will need to remove this gaucho bench (or at least cut into it).

My concern with the modification is that the gaucho probably provides a good bit of rigidity. I've seen other layouts where there's a bench in the front but it doesn't span the entire width of the vehicle, so I'm thinking it may not be that big of an issue? Perhaps I'd have to install some bracing to account for the removed rigidity support of the bench?

I have attached some pictures of what it currently looks like (ignore the water damage and lack of window seals). My idea was to cut the middle of the bench out and make seats out of what's remaining in the corners.

Any info on the feasibility of making such a drastic modification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1464.jpg   IMG_1466.jpg  

IMG_1467.jpg  
jennings.graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennings.graham View Post
Happy Friday,

I'll try to keep this short. The interior of my '76 Trillium is basically one piece of molded fiberglass (like a tub). My intention was to build a mini dinette in the front of camper, but there's a bench that spans the width of the space (I've heard it called a gaucho bench/couch). In order to build a space to eat for two, I will need to remove this gaucho bench (or at least cut into it).

My concern with the modification is that the gaucho probably provides a good bit of rigidity. I've seen other layouts where there's a bench in the front but it doesn't span the entire width of the vehicle, so I'm thinking it may not be that big of an issue? Perhaps I'd have to install some bracing to account for the removed rigidity support of the bench?

I have attached some pictures of what it currently looks like (ignore the water damage and lack of window seals). My idea was to cut the middle of the bench out and make seats out of what's remaining in the corners.

Any info on the feasibility of making such a drastic modification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I did that on a 13’ Perris pacer ( since sold so no pictures) it worked great... I’m sure others will chime in with pictures.... trying googling it
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
Alan,

Unfortunately there's not much info out there about this specific problem out on the interwebs.

I understand it might be sacrilegious to rip out the original bench, but as long as I'm not sacrificing the stability/rigidity of the fiberglass hull, I'm OK with it.

There's just not enough room to put seats on top of the bench, plus the table would be above the bottom of the window which would just look obnoxious.

Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennings.graham View Post
Alan,

Unfortunately there's not much info out there about this specific problem out on the interwebs.

I understand it might be sacrilegious to rip out the original bench, but as long as I'm not sacrificing the stability/rigidity of the fiberglass hull, I'm OK with it.

There's just not enough room to put seats on top of the bench, plus the table would be above the bottom of the window which would just look obnoxious.

Thanks again.

I found this

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tte-42352.html
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
I stand corrected. Thanks Alan. Most of these modifications are for trailers that are not Trilliums - I suspect they have very similar designs and if others have done it with success, I think I can, too.

Thanks!

Tags
trillium