8' bag awning on a 7' awning rail--pics? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
8' bag awning on a 7' awning rail--pics?

Hi, Has anyone installed an 8' bag awning in a 7' straight section on your Uhaul , Burro or other egg with the edges overhanging? Would you do it again, do you have pic's?

The 8 footers are over $100 cheaper than the 7' and also offer a better price on the screen rooms. Supply and demand, the pop up tents take an 8'
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You could just buy the 8' and then cut it down and resew the seams down to a 7'
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #3

Oregon
I guess I haven't seen the end of one with the attached legs, canvas etc to feel comfortable doing that. Any pics of the end of a bag awning including shots of the hardware and upper section I wold have to fabricate?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #4

Registry
Here is a website on how to do your own bag awning that might help you with your options.

Girl Camping - An Awning for your vintage trailer.

To shorten the width on a pre made one you would need to cut back and redo the hem on one side of it and put in a new ring at the end for the pole. You would also have to cut back the cord that runs through small hem on the trailer side. Also have to shorten up the bag a little bit.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Carol, Jon said BAG awning, they have an aluminum outer frame, rafter arms that fold out, legs that fold down. That stuff can't just be cut down. As I said in another post, I've heard of someone using a 8' rail and letting the ends hang out in space. After trying a rope & pole awning, and now using a Shademaker 7' Classic bag awning, I would spend the few extra dollars to get a Shademaker 7' Supreme. Sometimes trying to save a few dollars isn't worth it. And the optional center rafter is worth the $20 or so extra too!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #6

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Here is a website on how to do your own bag awning that might help you with your options.

Girl Camping - An Awning for your vintage trailer.

To shorten the width on a pre made one you would need to cut back and redo the hem on one side of it and put in a new ring at the end for the pole. You would also have to cut back the cord that runs through small hem on the trailer side. Also have to shorten up the bag a little bit.

Thank you , but completely different awning. Yes, that one may roll up into a bag ( similar to my vintage awning on the 1960 Avion) but the newer bag awnings have a pole system at the curb side that would require some effort. The trailer side would be no big deal, similar to a normal pole and string vintage awning.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Carol, Jon said BAG awning, they have an aluminum outer frame, rafter arms that fold out, legs that fold down. That stuff can't just be cut down.
Thats very true of some types of newer bag awnings but not all of them. As Jon didn't provide a link to what they were looking at in regards to brands its hard to know. Marti's Awnings is a very popular spot for folks to custom order bag awnings from and know a number of people from this forum have used them as well as many vintage trailer folks. Her's just use the poles as in the homemade version of the bag awning link I posted.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I have an 8 foot Shademaker awning on a 7 foot rail on my 13 foot Scamp and its no big deal. Once it is deployed the poles set into their sockets so the length is not an issue. I dont know about long term travel as I remove my awning after use and store it inside the trailer keeping it out of the elements. My back window slides open to make this possible. If I had to do it over again I would rather keep my 8 footer on the 7 foot rail rather than buy a 7 footer nor would I use a longer rail and have the ends of the rail hanging out in the breeze. An 8 foot awning is already small enough a 7 footer makes this much worse expontentially.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #9

Oregon
Quote:
Thats very true of some types of newer bag awnings but not all of them. As Jon didn't provide a link to what they were looking at in regards to brands its hard to know. Marti's Awnings is a very popular spot for folks to custom order bag awnings from and know a number of people from this forum have used them as well as many vintage trailer folks. Her's just use the poles as in the homemade version of the bag awning link I posted.
Marti makes a GREAT awning, we have one of hers on our Avion ( She also has an Avion )

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I have an 8 foot Shademaker awning on a 7 foot rail on my 13 foot Scamp and its no big deal. Once it is deployed the poles set into their sockets so the length is not an issue. I dont know about long term travel as I remove my awning after use and store it inside the trailer keeping it out of the elements. My back window slides open to make this possible. If I had to do it over again I would rather keep my 8 footer on the 7 foot rail rather than buy a 7 footer nor would I use a longer rail and have the ends of the rail hanging out in the breeze. An 8 foot awning is already small enough a 7 footer makes this much worse expontentially.
Thanks for the "real life " feedback Steve
Old 04-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Sorry Carol, I confused Jon with another person that asked about Shademaker and another aluminum frame type bag awning, so that type was on my mind. I also thought Marti made only rope & pole awnings. Tried to buy one of hers but she was closed for a while so we went with another custom awning maker. Then didn't keep it anyway.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Sorry Carol, I confused Jon with another person that asked about Shademaker and another aluminum frame type bag awning,.
No problem ..... as it turns out you are right regardless
Old 04-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
I guess I haven't seen the end of one with the attached legs, canvas etc to feel comfortable doing that. Any pics of the end of a bag awning including shots of the hardware and upper section I wold have to fabricate?

Thanks
Randy Bishop posted some good pictures of different brands here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...m-48070-2.html

You should also note that some of the 7 foot awnings may have shorter legs and not extend out as far as the 8' ones.

This post has 2 links to follow:: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post333291
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #13

Oregon
Great info and great links thank you Roy.

I pulled the trigger and ordered the Dometic A&E 8 footer for $149 shipped. I already have a 12' length of rail that I will cut down and plan on using butyl tape and riveting it on. Ill post some pics when I tackle it.

Thank you all

Tags
awning