82 burro baby moons - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #1

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
82 burro baby moons

Have been searching for baby moon hubcaps for my 82 burro and have read the bits and pieces I could find here and on line. None of the examples seem to match Bennie's wheels. This is what they look like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-159073475.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	51287

They don't seem to have the "nubs" innies or outies that folks talk about. I think my little burro would be so much more handsome with the wheel covers. Are there suggestions out there?
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You could probably do full wheel covers if you can't find hub caps that work. I picked up some plastic ones at a big box store.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G.
You could probably do full wheel covers if you can't find hub caps that work. I picked up some plastic ones at a big box store.
I don't really want the plastic ones if I can come up with chrome....but I looked and did not find the smooth silver domes even in plastic : (
Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
I don't really want the plastic ones if I can come up with chrome....but I looked and did not find the smooth silver domes even in plastic : (
Did you look at Hubcap Mikes?

Vintage Hubcaps Wheel Covers, Classic Car or Kustom Wheelcovers at Hubcap Mike.com's Hub Caps Online Store
Old 09-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

Washington
Registry
Thank you Thomas! One of those will work. The nubs are innies. So now I just need to triple check the measurements and order!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Hi Sue and Thomas........I also have a 1982 Burro! Have you done anything with your cushions? What color are your cabinets? Do you have a little shelf under the front window? If you have any pictures of your egg, I would love to see them so I can see the possibilities! Thanks!
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #7

Montana
Sorry....I meant Henry....not Thomas!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #8

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxmont
Sorry....I meant Henry....not Thomas!
Hi Lfoxmont! It's nice to hear from another 13 footer!

Name:	image-343493763.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	51412
I'm currently working on my cupboards. The photo shows the inside (white) and the outside (varnished wood). When I bought the burro my closet was 3/4" plywood and very heavy. What is yours? I have no idea if that was normal - but by the end of summer all of our hinges broke. The replacement: 1x2" frame with thin plywood. It will have a "U" frame similar to the original - but deeper.

Name:	image-1522209406.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	51413
I'm cutting into the fiberglass below the closet opening and adding a second door for a bit more accessible storage. I'll leave three inches of fiberglass between the top and bottom cupboards to catch the doors and to maintain structural support. A third door will be added to the area below the bench seat. That door was missing when I purchased the burro. It will secure the porta potti.

Name:	image-506961709.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	51414
I made slip covers for all the cushions. Mine were in great shape for a 30 year old trailer but they were too dark for me. The photo shows them stacked in our garage during my work.

That shelf below the window is for the bunk bed. Your bench back probably has a hinge attached to it? That swings up and pipes attach to support it for a kids bunk. We don't use the bunk bed option. it doesn't support an adult's weight and our kids are all grown up.

Now, a couple of questions for you! What is your closet door made out of? Would you send along a picture of your cupboard door hinges? I think mine we're replaced, but am not sure. I did order new latches since a couple were either missing or broken. I couldn't match the old ones - but think I've gotten close - they have not arrived yet.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #9

Montana
All of my doors are a heavy oak. I'm going to replace them but I'm not sure with what. I've attached some pictures of my hardware. I doubt that its original. The PO put in all new carpet so the holes for the table are all covered up. I did print out the manual so I'm either going to attempt to find the screw holes or find a small table and use that instead. Mine is also missing the gravel shield so that's another winter project along with reupholstering the cushions. I got my Burro for a good price but a little voice in the back of my head sometimes tell me I should have raised my budget and maybe I could have gotten one that didn't need all this work.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2550083478.jpg   image-1315662420.jpg  

image-1625026668.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #10

Washington
Registry
Hum. Those look like mine. Thank you. I am having fun fixing mine...despite the occasional frustrations.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #11

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
Hi Sue,

We also have a "Burrito" (13) which we got for a song and have been faced with the same upgrades that you are doing.

The Baby Moons are well worth getting. IMHO they look better on this small camper than full wheel moons. Measure carefully and call Mike to confirm.

We also ditched the upper bunk and cut off the little support wood shelf under the window. This was a gruesome task but worth it cause we were doing other repairs in that area.

We re-did all the cushions since my wife is very good at sewing. We made new custom cushions for front bunk which now converts to a small dinette table, as well as a one piece "permanent" bed for the rear area. This works perfectly for us since mostly we are just 2 and having a bed and table simultaneously is great.

The original cabinet doors were all particle board which is very heavy and swells over time from moisture. We are now replacing them with 1/2" plywood which we will paint a nice contrasting color.

The next best upgrade for your little burro is to replace the vent with a Fantastic Vent, (we used #4000R) which fits in exactly and is easy to wire since you already have power in the over counter cabinet for the cabin lights, and it is easy to fish the wires up to the vent.

Next is to rip out the ratty old carpet and install some type of resistant laminate flooring.

You will love every upgrade that you do to the Burro and these basic things will increase the value if you ever sell it.

Regards,
Rick
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #12

Washington
Registry
Hi Rick-thank you for the great information! What about the ceiling strip? Is it carpeted? Ours came with a sort of bathroom shower plastic surface. Needs redoing. It sags. If we put in that fantastic fan, that would be the time to redo it.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #13

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
Hi Sue,

The ceiling strip came from the factory with short brown carpeting affectionately known as "mouse fur" (or rat fur when referring to it on someone else's camper). This covers the space where the 2 halves of the inside mold meet the outer shell. This should also extend down the front and rear of the burro, all the way to the floor.

Ours is in great shape so we are leaving it. If you search the forum you will find great examples of what several others have done to replace this. But whatever you use you will need to glue it in place. Some have done vinyl, bamboo, wood strips, fabric adhered to Reflectix (which is a foil/insulation sandwich). There are great adhesives out there now a days so this is not too difficult or expensive, just time consuming, normally requiring braces to hold it in place while drying.

If you do the fan, yes install the fan first, then the ceiling covering, then the fan trim.
Regards, Rick
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote