82 Pacer - Front Frame-to-Body Mount - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: '88 Perris Pacer - 13 Footer
West
82 Pacer - Front Frame-to-Body Mount

Inspected a 1982 Perris Pacer 13 Foot trailer today. Gave it a good once over. She looks to be in pretty good shape, but needs a lot of deferred maintenance and tlc to find her former glory.

While inspecting the frame, I found an issue where the fiberglass body mounts to the chassis at the front end (tongue-side). The body looks like it's mounted by four large screws. Is that right? I expected bolts, not screws. Anyway, three of the four screws were rusted through and were either spinning in place or had disappeared altogether.

First question: how difficult is it to re-secure the body to the chassis? The back screws (bolts?) are rusty but they appear to be solid. So, I don't think the body slid at all. Is this as simple as drilling out the old screws, cleaning it up and re-screwing (bolting?).

Second question: There is some fiberglass repair work at the bow (tongue) end of the body. There are patches directly over both chassis rails where the front corner meets the rail. My guess is that the body started bouncing once the mounting screws rusted, leading to cracks/damage in that location. Both patches are translucent amber colored, which I'm guessing is epoxy? Does this make sense? Major issue? Or likely the appropriate way to repair? I can nab photos if necessary.

That's all for now. If she becomes ours, I'll likely start a rehab thread.

Thanks in advance!
82_Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #2

Name: Frederick
Trailer: 1974 Perris Valley Pacer
California
Hello, I replaced the frame on my 74 Pacer. There are 4 large bolts in front and 4 in back. Itís possible they went to screws in 82 but it sounds insufficient to handle the road. If your willing to go deep in your renovation, I recommend detaching the body from the frame. You never know whatís hiding underneath until you do. I found my frame was cracked and wasnít safe. When reinstalling, I added a rubber strip/gasket between the body and stainless steel bolts. I can give you all the gory details if you move forward. Regarding repairing the fiberglass, there a plenty of threads on the forum. I used an epoxy based glass that worked well. I look forward to your rehab thread. CheersClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608659943.742714.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	138821Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608660469.313631.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	138822
Fredomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #3

Name: K
Trailer: '88 Perris Pacer - 13 Footer
West
Thanks for the details, Fredomatic. I'll likely follow up on the gory details...if I can get a call back. The seller went silent on me. Hopefully just some holiday distraction at play.
82_Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote