84 U-Haul side windows installation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Florida
Registry
84 U-Haul side windows installation

Installing new seals and also including felts on (L)side window of my 84 UHAUL 13ft. Difficulty with getting good seal on top and bottom. Each time I push on window I feel it may fall out. I previously read Bridget's information on installation. I would not trust taking my camper on highway. Any information would be thankful, Mike
mmHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:00 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We had one of those Uhauls. Did one of the side windows, other side I installed a Scamp window that uses the clamp ring. First off I disagree with Bridget on what rubber weatherstrip to use. Do you have the lock strip tool. I helped another Uhaul owner install their side windows, it is a two person job, and can still be a struggle. You'll find different opinions on how to do the installation, and I don't want to get into a debate on here. I can tell you the ones I installed did not leak afterwards.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:43 PM   #3

Florida
Registry
84 Uhaul windows

Mary and Bob, I respect your opinion. How would you approached the installation on the emergency window,(again) as we have the window in place but the top corner and bottom appear to bend. I am picking up the lock strip tool tomorrow from O'Reilly's thank u
Old 02-27-2021, 07:11 PM   #4

New York
First thing I did was measure the thickness of the window lip which is 3/16". Then measured the thickness of the fiberglass at the window opening, mine was 3/16". However the rubber weatherstrip was not available in those measurements. I found part # AS1456 to have one groove 3/16, and other groove 1/4", same as original, so that is what I bought. I think length of original is 7 feet ( measure to be sure) so I cut the new weatherstrip to be 2" longer. You'll need two or three people here, put weatherstrip in window opening, tight to fiberglass opening, with the 1/4" groove on the fiberglass. This is like wrestling a snake and takes extra hands to hold it tight. Groove for lock strip should be on inside of trailer. Once weatherstrip is tight in opening, cut off the extra so ends butt tight. Joint should be halfway up one side. With helpers holding weatherstrip in, lube inside with dish soap. Using a hook type tool (auto part store should have one, my NAPA did) Work window into weatherstrip from inside. Once in, lube and install the lock strip with the Lisle tool. Be careful with the hook tool, don't use one with a sharp point. There may be two 1/8" drilled holes at top of window frame on outside that the rubber doesn't cover. Use some type of caulk to seal them. As for the window channel, I have no advice as I found a couple new old stock original windows. If you replace the window channel be sure to open up where the weep holes are. The openings for the side windows apparently were not cut out very accurately, so sometimes the windows don't fit good. I had a lot of spare parts but sold them all, deleted most of my photos, and burned most of the files I had about Uhauls after we sold ours. The facebook Uhaul group has a lot of good info.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:14 AM   #5

Florida
Registry
84 Uhaul windows

Mary and Bob, Thank you for your quick response, I ordered the new weather strip ( AS1456). So I have about 40ft of the other weather strip (AS 1488) set aside, the original price for 50 ft was $100.00. You have to buy 50 ft. No returns. I just ordered the the AS 1456 again the cost is $100.00. The company is called, Perfect Fit. I called the company for advice with no luck, Sales only. This is great learning experience. Again I thank u and hopefully this information will help others too, Mike
Old 02-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #6

New York
I got my AS1456 from Perfectfit also, along with the AS 789B lock strip. A lot of people just went by "someone said use this weatherstrip" without doing any research of their own and ended up with the (in my opinion) wrong stuff. Always do your own research after getting other opinions. I used the Lisle lock strip tool #47000 and NAPA 3470 hook tool. Other options are ordering a custom fit clamp ring type window, or modify the opening to fit in a standard size window. I had modified the right side opening to take a Scamp window, and then some new old stock windows came available from a surplus company so I bought two, installed one, sold the other at a profit. Soon as other Uhaul owners found out about those NOS windows they were sold out. Those Uhaul side windows were a poor design, and typically leaked. Have you noticed that the left side window uses the pull out lock strip to make it the "escape" window, but the right window had a fold in lock strip. That stick on RV gutter, placed above the windows may help run off water in a normal rain but not much help in a wind driven rain. Wind driven rain will blow in the stove vent louvers too. Marker lights are a leak point, and I even found a leak in the shell seam and a pinhole in the fiberglass on the roof. I did a lot of work on that old Uhaul, but have since moved up to a Casita 17.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:30 PM   #7

Florida
Registry
84 Uhaul windows

Great information, I also ordered the felt strip took the window apart, rivets and all. Installed the felt. I also believe it was wrong size, window does not move. Again a learning experience. I plan on traveling to Napa and get the right tools. Again thank u I love the little UHAUL. Plan on logging on to the UHAUL face book.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:20 PM   #8

New York
I had a piece of window channel but never tried to install it because of finding the new windows. I don't know if anyone ever found the right size that would fit perfectly. I do remember talk of trimming the bottom or sides of one particular channel to make it fit. You may find more updated info on the facebook group. Look in their "files" section for all kinds of good info. At one time I found a supplier of window channel that sold a sample chain with many different sizes on it, but I don't think anybody ever bought it to try to find the best fit for the Uhaul windows. Another unobtainable part is the latch for the windows, hope you have that. Only part I have left is the door striker, the part that bolts on the closet wall that the door latch catches on. Another unique to Uhaul part. Worth it's weight in gold if someone needed it, but it's pretty much a bulletproof part that never breaks.

Tags
u-haul, windows